Senior Payroll and Compliance Accountant
Finance | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Taulia is a fintech provider of working capital management solutions headquartered in San Francisco, California. Taulia helps companies access value tied up in their payables, receivables and inventory. A network of more than 2 million businesses use Taulia’s platform to determine when they want to pay and be paid. Taulia processes more than $500 billion each year and is trusted by the world’s largest companies including Airbus, AstraZeneca, Nissan and Vodafone. For more information, please visit www.taulia.com.
About the Job:
Taulia is looking for a Senior Payroll and Compliance Accountant who will own and manage the payroll process for Taulia. This role will report to the Sr. Accounting Manager, and manage relationships with our accounting, Professional Employer Organization, and payroll partners. This is a key role as you will make an immediate impact as a seasoned Payroll professional and you will support the current and future growth of Taulia. In this role you will drive the development, management, and administration of the payroll and related tax and equity transactions. Additionally, this role will also support other compliance matters as it relates to local and state business taxes (i.e. SF business tax, annual franchise reporting). The ideal candidate is experienced in the administration of payroll operations, including international and local/state/fed tax compliance as it relates to payroll matters.
As the Senior Payroll Accountant You Will:
- Own and Process US, Australia, Canada payroll and other international locations, as required
- Set up and obtain Employer registrations for new State/SUI/Local jurisdictions
- Serve as the main point of contact for all employees, own documentation of payroll processes, resources and training materials for team members
- Support external audits (e.g. 401(k) audit, worker's compensation, financial audit)
- Support system integrations between HRIS and Payroll Systems and resolving missing information
- Perform analysis of payroll issues and determine the cause and implement reasonable solutions.
- Understand proper taxation of employer paid benefits and equity transactions, including multi-state jurisdiction tax withholding.
- Deliver process improvements to streamline the payroll function
- Partner with Legal to maintain Secretary of State registrations accurate and current
- Partner with Legal, HR, and Finance teams and external vendors to develop efficient processes and workflows.
- Oversee special projects, including process documentation and improvements, system updates, integrations, upgrades or implementations
Key Skills and Requirements:
- Minimum 3+ years payroll experience in a multi-state and international environment
- Strong in-depth working knowledge of payroll principles, rules and regulations and demonstrated strong payroll technical skills in a variety of areas including, payroll processing, reporting, payroll taxes, etc.
- Strong in-depth working knowledge of GAAP and understanding of internal controls, operational accounting procedures as it relates to payroll
- Experience with stock-payroll transactions, understanding of the tax implications of each type (ie. ISOs, NQs,etc)
- Experience implementing payroll and HRIS systems
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently and partner effectively with cross-functional teams
- Solid experience with local, state, and federal payroll and tax laws
- Skill in handling workload fluctuations and multiple requests
- Advanced level of proficiency using Microsoft Office (V-lookups, and Pivot tables)
- Knowledge and mindset for automation and improvements to improve processes for scalability
- Flexible work schedule
- Remote-friendly environment
- Competitive Compensation (Annual Base Salary, Annual Bonus, Equity)
- Comprehensive Insurance Coverage (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- Comprehensive PTO Structure (PTO, Sick Leave, Bereavement)
- Global Parental Leave
- Company issued equipment (Laptop, monitor, etc.)
- 401k with match
- Career Development/Pathing
- EAP Program/Mental Health Advocacy
- Supportive Work Culture
Taulia is an Equal Opportunity Employer --Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.