Director of Engineering
Engineering | Salt Lake City, UT | Full Time
Taulia delivers working capital solutions that make it easy for businesses to free up cash, accelerate payments and improve supply chain health.
Since founding in 2009, we’ve envisioned a world where every business thrives by liberating cash. Today, our team of financial gamechangers have built a network connecting 1.5 million businesses across 168 countries and accelerated more than $80 billion in early payments.
Using our state-of-the-art platform, businesses now have the option to choose when and how to pay and get paid. It sounds simple. But our painless process provides both buyers and suppliers the chance to skyrocket their cash - cash to fuel economic growth all over the world. It’s win-win for everybody.
About the Job:We’re looking for a leader to help us revolutionize how buyers and suppliers receive and manage their cash. As Director of Engineering for our Working Capital teams, you will lead engineering teams to develop, enhance, and operate our most critical products. You are customer focused, ensuring our customers always have a great experience. You do this by being a champion of great technical design, having a high sense of ownership, working with Product Managers to make tough prioritization decisions, and leading others to do all this better than yourself. You will oversee all aspects of software engineering for your teams, including software design, implementation, process, mentoring, recruiting, and operations. You will lead teams through each of these areas and take ownership for their results, but always bring your teams and peers along in a way that makes them all better for working with you.
We are looking for a great manager and leader who enjoys the challenge of scaling teams that deliver cutting edge products and services to our growing list of global clients. This position reports directly to the Chief Technology Officer and is a senior member of our engineering management team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead 5+ distributed scrum teams, working with the teams to define roadmaps, create goals, design technical solutions, create project implementation plans, adjust priorities, deliver enhancements, and operate production.
- Responsible for the integrity of the work created by the teams. Strong leadership qualities are critical to leading and mentoring the team in the pursuit of delivering our products and scaling our teams and processes.
- Have a strong technical vision and work with your teams to put a plan in place to get there. Build strong relationships with product managers to understand the product vision, and translate that into technical steps to get their, balancing short and long term goals along the way.
- Be a technical mentor and leader for your team, teach solid object oriented design best practices, to ensure engineering teams are building high quality software that solves today’s problems, but is designed with the future in mind.
- Take full accountability for the delivery and operations of your teams applications in production. Ensure all applications are delivered with quality and scale and customers can rely on them, and be ready to jump in with the team when gaps come up.
- Identify and infuse organizational metrics to scale. Utilize metrics to continuously address weaknesses and hold your teams accountable to agreed upon levels of performance.
- Provide clear direction and constructive feedback across the engineering department and company. Be a positive leader within the department.
Competencies and Qualifications:
- 8+ years of engineering management (3+ at Director Level) and leadership in a Web/SaaS environment with a minimum of 20 indirect reports.
- Ability to recruit, manage, lead and retain top engineering talent - able to hold others to the same high standards you hold yourself.
- Direct experience successfully recruiting, organizing, managing, motivating, and scaling an engineering team that operates in multiple locations.
- You are comfortable in a fast paced technology start-up, and are attuned to taking a complex system with lots of customers and creating a clear and organized vision from it.
- You have built and operated high quality and reliable software at scale. You’ve learned lessons from it and you share that experience with your teams. You take high ownership over your applications in production, and ensuring that every customer has a great experience.
- Experience in short release cycles; proficient in an agile/scrum operating environment.
- You manage large teams, but also find time to write code whenever you can, not because you have to, but because you want to.
- Excellent analytical and research capabilities as well as superb verbal and written skills.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- An understanding of the Financial, Procurement or ERP Industry is ideal.