Associate General Counsel
General and Administrative | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Taulia is a fintech provider of working capital management solutions headquartered in San Francisco, California. Taulia helps companies access value tied up in their payables, receivables and inventory. A network of more than 2 million businesses use Taulia’s platform to determine when they want to pay and be paid. Taulia processes more than $500 billion each year and is trusted by the world’s largest companies including Airbus, AstraZeneca, Nissan and Vodafone. For more information, please visit www.taulia.com.
About the Job:
Taulia is seeking a top-tier attorney for the role of Associate General Counsel with significant growth potential. You will own diverse and complex legal issues that require excellent business acumen, judgment, flexibility, and creative/critical thinking with a practical and business-friendly approach. This is an opportunity to join the company during a rapid growth phase and contribute to its success.
The focus is on B2B SaaS and trade finance, and you will have significant responsibility for supporting Taulia’s expansion in APAC and Latin America, relations with strategic partners, and development of new products, along with support for general commercial and company legal needs, including HR. You will manage a global team of attorneys and legal firms.
You will report to the General Counsel, and will have direct interaction with the CEO, CFO and business owners. You will also be asked to represent Legal in a number of company-wide meetings.
What you’ll do:
- Support the General Counsel by overseeing the day-to-day legal function.
- Work with Product to develop new product and service offerings.
- Manage mid-level attorneys.
- Establish and maintain relationships with cross-functional teams including: Sales, Product, Professional Services, Customer Support, and Finance.
- Manage legal aspects of key strategic partnerships including due diligence in various new markets and support ongoing compliance for international entities around the world.
- Proactively advise stakeholders and manage complex legal issues related to evolving product roadmap, including data privacy, intellectual property, open source export, and other regulatory compliance and best practices throughout the product development cycle.
- Partner with the Product team on issues related to compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations applicable to government contractors.
- Understand and stay up to date on U.S. and international laws and regulations related to Taulia’s growing product offerings.
- Negotiate and serve as escalation point on complex vendor agreements including inbound SaaS and other technology agreements, real estate leases, employment, marketing, consulting, and other vendor agreements.
- Partner with other team members on development and updates of templates, processes, and playbooks as business models evolve.
- Help in designing, building, and improving legal department processes to keep up with hyper growth and scaling.
- Manage outside counsel.
- Lead privacy strategy corporate wide.
- Support HR functions with basic employment law advice.
- Support special strategic projects on an ad hoc basis.
We’re looking for someone with:
- JD from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice in at least one of the United States, preferably California.
- 12+ years legal experience with a mix of large law firm and in-house preferred; significant interactions at the executive level in the US and Europe
- Significant (7+ years) experience with B2B SaaS; fintech experience is a plus.
- Experience coordinating across business lines to keep current on business activities and future plans and advising business partners in the implementation of compliance processes for legal and contract requirements.
- Strong commercial experience with customers, partners and vendors.
- Experience advising product management on applicable laws and regulations, with specific experience in global data privacy including GDPR, a plus.
- Experience working with global sales and business development teams.
- Experience entering new markets; experience in APAC and Latin America is a plus.
- A motivated self-starter with flexibility and ability to provide high-quality work on a wide range of complex matters with minimal supervision, often in a time-sensitive and extremely fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently project manage.
- Is ethical and has strong business acumen and savvy, good common sense and sound and pragmatic judgment, particularly in time sensitive, critical situations.
- Is self-confident and can instill confidence in, and effectively communicate and deal with, business and legal counterparts inside and outside the Company and with C-level executives.
- Proven high-performing legal experience in an in-house environment.
- Strong analytical, strategic and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to build the processes and systems to prevent them from occurring.
- Sense of humor and superior work ethic.
Taulia is an Equal Opportunity Employer --Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.