Engineering | San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA or possibly Remote with some travel
TastemakerX is looking for a database engineer to come bring scale and high reliability experience to our growing team.
This position is based in San Francisco, CA but could be a remote position if you are the right person.
About the Job
As a Database Engineer at TastemakerX you would:
- Work closely with developers to refactor and optimize database schemas and queries in big-data applications
- Conduct query analysis, query optimization, and query performance tuning
- Work in a variety of application and problem domains
- Be willing to learn new or unfamiliar languages as needs arise
- Work closely with techops for production database performance monitoring and capacity planning
- Take charge with good schema design and query authoring
- Be proactive in identifying areas of improvement and drive change
- Handle the challenges that are part of ongoing API design and maintenance
- 5+ years as a database programmer
- 3+ years of MySQL experience
- 2+ years of software development experience preferably in LAMP stack
- Understand the differences and implementation details of indexes
- Solid understanding of data architecture and relational database concepts
- Knowledge of stored procedures
- Experience with sharding, partitioning and/or other forms of data and table clustering
- Experience with highly available/replicated SQL system (architecture and implementation)
- Experience maintaining and altering 25M+ row tables without downtime
- Experience in at least one form of loose schema store, such as Redis or Cassandra
- Some experience in a scrum environment
- B.S. in Computer Science or related fields; M.S a plus
TastemakerX is a mobile social game that allows players to express musical taste by building virtual, 'followable' portfolios of the artists they love. Our mission is to connect people who love music all over the world and the artists they follow. TastemakerX is growing and needs talented, motivated people to join us in that mission.
TastemakerX is led by CEO and co-founder Marc Ruxin and CTO/CPO and co-founder Sandro Pugliese. We are backed by Guggenheim Ventures, Baseline, True Ventures, Tekton Ventures, and AOL Ventures; and investors and advisors who include: John Battelle, Marc Geiger, Andrew Anker, Mich Mathews, Ted Rheingold, Paul Bricault, Ian Rogers, Mike Lazerow and others.
We're growing and are well funded and if you're interested in joining the team at TastemakerX, please send your resume, your portfolio, and a cover letter telling us what inspires you and why you think you are perfect for the team (resumes without a cover letter will not be considered). If you contribute to an open source project, write a blog, or do something other than design, we would love to hear about it when you write.