Legal | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Tapjoy's Maximum Impact PlatformTM provides mobile engagement and monetization services for leading advertisers and app developers. Advertisers rely on Tapjoy's diverse suite of rewarded InterplayTM ads including video and rich media to impact performance. Developers utilize our technology and mobile expertise to acquire and monetize users. The Tapjoy SDK is currently embedded in over 15,000 mobile apps, reaching 520 million monthly active users. A 2016 comScoreTM study confirmed Tapjoy Interplay® ads deliver an unprecedented 3x lift across all brand metrics. The company works with Fortune 500 brands and the Top 200 grossing app developers. Founded in 2007, Tapjoy is a global organization with more than a dozen offices worldwide and is headquartered in San Francisco.
Tapjoy is backed by top-tier investors, including J.P. Morgan Asset Management, Rho Ventures, North Bridge Venture Partners, InterWest Partners and D.E. Shaw Ventures. Headquartered in San Francisco, the company also has offices in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Santa Barbara, Boston, London, Beijing, Shanghai, Seoul and Tokyo.
Position Title: Commercial Counsel
Position Description/Responsibilities: Tapjoy is looking for a full-time commercial attorney to join our lean and versatile in-house legal team. You will collaborate with colleagues across the company and around the world to support our fast-paced business needs in an evolving environment. We’re looking for a talented attorney with judgment, initiative, and drive who can partner effectively with our business teams to problem-solve while handling varied and complex legal work at scale. This is a rare opportunity to be part of a nimble legal team in a fast paced dynamic company, and to work on challenging issues with real business impact. This position is based in Tapjoy’s San Francisco office and reports directly to the head of legal.
- Review, draft, negotiate, and interpret a wide variety of commercial agreements covering the full spectrum of what we do: advertising and agency agreements, insertion orders, data agreements, licensing agreements, adtech and other partner agreements, NDAs, terms of service, vendor agreements and more
- As primary legal contact for sales, you will manage multiple deals and support colleagues in the US and internationally, with sound business and legal judgment and a clear sense of company priorities
- Assist our internal clients across all functions and levels with clear, actionable guidance on transactions, privacy, compliance, and other legal concerns, looping in outside counsel as needed. Any given day touches on digital advertising, privacy, data protection, compliance, equity grants, IP protection, licensing, compliance, international corporate structure and maintenance, or any combination!
- Partner with leadership, internal clients, and outside counsel to support Legal responsibilities and initiatives: design, build, and improve processes to scale with growth; manage our IP portfolio; provide litigation support; design and lead business team trainings; and help manage, improve, and develop templates
- 2 to 4 years of relevant legal experience with mobile, internet, or technology companies (law firm, in-house, or (ideally) both)
- JD from accredited law school, with excellent credentials; active California Bar membership
- Local (SF bay area) candidates only
- Excellent legal and business judgment and strategic thinking, teamed with outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills
- Exceptionally strong communication skills across all channels; comfortable across different audiences and contexts, and able to switch gears appropriately for each
- Experience working closely with sales teams in a fast-moving environment
- Expertise with some or all (the more, the better) of: digital advertising, data privacy, mobile gaming and platforms, and IP
- Knowledge of relevant legal and regulatory frameworks, in the US and internationally
- Efficient and creative problem-solver, comfortable with ambiguity, complexity, and nuance
- Able to take ownership of fast-paced projects with rapidly shifting priorities, managing them through to completion with patience, flexibility, and poise
- Collaborative, positive, business-friendly, service-minded; able to work independently
- Proficient in standard business product suites (Google Suite, Microsoft Office); bonus points for familiarity with Salesforce
While we’re operating at tremendous scale, we still maintain a startup culture at Tapjoy with all of the casual, social, creative teammates you could desire, and encourage an entrepreneurial mindset where we drive innovation, continuous improvement and tremendous pride in our organization.
If you want to learn about building an amazing team with industry-leading technology, you want to surround yourself with brilliant, passionate entrepreneurial teammates at Tapjoy.
Tapjoy is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that diversity and inclusion lead to stronger, more innovative teams and better business results; we want to draw from the broadest talent pool possible and encourage qualified applicants. Tapjoy does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, color, age, sexual orientation, gender (including identity and expression), disability (mental or physical), religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification protected by applicable law; we will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities, and pursuant to applicable fair chance ordinances, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For more information, please visit www.tapjoy.com.