Marketing and Campaign Assistant (Volunteer)
Digital Youth Engagement | Toronto, ON, Canada
This part-time internship opportunity is perfect for someone looking to develop their experience working in the field of Communications, Public Relations or Marketing in a fast-paced and dynamic non-for-profit/education workspace. Working in our downtown Toronto office and in virtual collaboration with our New York based partner organization, our ideal candidate will demonstratively possess a passion for cause marketing, strong digital media communications skills and demonstrated leadership potential.
Why volunteer at TakingITGlobal?
- Have an impact! TakingITGlobal's programs reached millions of users last year, empowering young people in over 200 countries to express themselves, develop understanding, and take action to address social issues in their communities and around the world.
- Expand your horizons! TakingITGlobal has a strong international reputation within the non-profit, government, and corporate sectors. Your experience and strengthened skills will be respected by future employers and TakingITGlobal's collaborative nature means volunteers grow a solid professional network and gain experience vital for future job opportunities.
- Be part of a vibrant team! TakingITGlobal is a open, collaborative environment recognized as a WorldBlu Democratic Workplace and committed to fun wellness activites. Although headquartered in Toronto, TIG is an international organization and you'll have the opportunity to be inspired by partners and team members from all over the world!
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Assist Campaign Cause expert with creation and execution of the Teens for Jeans campaign (www.dosomething.org/teensforjeans)
- Assisting in writing member communications for cause campaigns (including SMS-based content, newsletters, tweets, facebook messages, spotlights etc)
- Day to day management of member relations (aka,... answering help emails)
- Review metrics and update tracking document to support reporting
Strategy and Outreach
- Ideating and participating in brainstorms re campaign outreach and promotion
- Assist DoSomething.org team with creation and execution of marketing strategies for general marketing tactics and campaigns, as related to the Canadian market
- Work closely with DoSomething.org team to brainstorm key marketing partners for cause campaigns, as related to the Canadian market
- Assist in targeted outreach to gain support for individual cause campaigns
- Help identify new evergreen partners to reach out to that support DoSomething.org on a year-round basis. What spaces do teens occupy that we do not have a presence in?
- Help identify what assets we can offer to our marketing partners to create the most valuable and mutually beneficial partnership.
Writing and editorial support
- Assist with other writing and editing tasks as required including blog postings, impact stories, press releases etc.
- Participate in Team Meetings
- Share thoughts, ideas, and suggestions as they arise – especially as they relate to marketing and promotional efforts
- Keep staff updated by posting to "My Week" every Friday and maintain regular communication with direct Manager
- Share interesting education related articles, news items, and resources with the team
- Contribute to the TIG Internal Operations and Training Manual.
- Prepare a handover note to help to orient the next individual filling this role
Currently a college/undergraduate student or recent graduate with a background in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or related field
Outgoing and enthusiastic personality
Knowledge of pop culture and teen trends of the moment
Excellent communication skills: solid grammar, strong written communication skills, ability to convey message clearly, good telephone manner
Self-starter, ability to work well alone or with others
Passionate about teens changing the world
Highly engaged and active on social media networks and online communities (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
Willingness to learn new things and eagerness to acquire new skills
Believes in the vision and mission of TakingITGlobal and Do Something
Previous experience in non-profit organization considered an asset
- Fluent in French
This position is offered on an initial 4-month volunteer basis with possibility of renewal. We are looking for someone who is able to commit 20 hours per week, working 2 days per week at the TakingITGlobal office and 4 hours weekly working remotely from their home. The successful candidate may request a travel stipend.
This volunteer position is part of the TakingITGlobal Fall Internship Program Cycle with the following details:
Duration: 4 months (September - December)
Hours: 20 hours per week (16 in Toronto office, 4 remote)
Application Deadline: July 19, 2013
Orientation Day: September 3rd, 2013