Innovate for Good, Member Services Assistant (Volunteer)
Innovate4Good | Toronto, ON, Canada
This part-time opportunity is perfect for someone looking to develop experience contributing to an online community in a fast-paced and dynamic workspace. Working in our downtown Toronto office under the stewardship of the Project Manager, our ideal candidate will demonstratively possess a passion for the not-for-profit sector, excellent communication skills and a strong willingness to learn. Our goal is to provide a unique, hands-on training opportunity, working with you to provide support, outreach and help managing an online community with TIG.
Why volunteer at TakingITGlobal?
- Have an impact! TakingITGlobal's programs reached millions of users last year, empowering young people in over 200 countries to express themselves, develop understanding, and take action to address social issues in their communities and around the world.
- Expand your horizons! TakingITGlobal has a strong international reputation within the non-profit, government, and corporate sectors. Your experience and strengthened skills will be respected by future employers and TakingITGlobal's collaborative nature means volunteers grow a solid professional network and gain experience vital for future job opportunities.
- Be part of a vibrant team! TakingITGlobal is a open, collaborative environment recognized as a WorldBlu Democratic Workplace and committed to fun wellness activites. Although headquartered in Toronto, TIG is an international organization and you'll have the opportunity to be inspired by partners and team members from all over the world!
Roles & Responsibilities:
Respond to e-mails from members of the Innovate for Good online community.
Proofread and edit community-wide emails.
Drafting and sending direct personal emails as well as providing comments to ideas posted and reactions to blogs/discussions with I4G members to maintain a high level of engagement online.
Assist with promoting opportunities for I4G members to become more engaged including applications for the Community Animator positions and member recognition badges.
Maintain and add content to Innovate for Good website via the user- friendly admin system.
Drafting and posting a collection of community highlights on discussion boards once weekly.
Prepare packages and promotional materials to be sent
Organizing member contact information and community segmentations
- Assist in organizing online community events
Complete High School or Early College education
Detail oriented and well organized
Strong written and oral communication skills, as well as interpersonal skills.
Understanding of the nonprofit sector
Understanding of incubators and support ecosystems for social entrepreneurship
Significant interest in youth-related issues and experience working with young people from a wide variety of cultures.
Proficiency in MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, Explorer).
Willingness to learn new things and eagerness to acquire new skills
High level of internet literacy and understanding of online communities
- TakingITGlobal is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports applications from diverse backgrounds and communities.
This position is offered on an initial 4-month volunteer basis with possibility of renewal. We are looking for someone who is able to commit 20 hours per week, working 2 days per week at the TakingITGlobal office and 4 hours weekly working remotely from their home. The successful candidate may request a travel stipend.
This volunteer position is part of the TakingITGlobal Fall Internship Program Cycle with the following details:
Duration: 4 months (September - December)
Hours: 20 hours per week (16 in Toronto office, 4 remote)
Application Deadline: July 19, 2013
Orientation Day: September 3rd, 2013