Global Encounters Program Coordinator
TIGed | Toronto, ON, Canada
TakingITGlobal is an international organization lead by youth, empowered by technology. TakingITGlobal (TIG) connects youth from around the world to find inspiration, information and get involved in improving their local, regional and global communities.
TakingITGlobal’s mission is to provide opportunities for learning, capacity building, cross-cultural awareness, and self-development through the use of Information and Communication Technologies. Its key strategic initiatives include; providing a virtual space for cross-cultural expression, dialogue, networking and collaboration among youth, supporting youth action and understanding around global issues, developing rich interactive, global education experiences, and facilitating the development of local content, multilingualism and skills training.
TakingITGlobal has approximately 20 staff based in Toronto and an additional 20 staff who work part-time in different parts of Canada and around the world as well as hundreds of volunteers. Supporters include Canadian Heritage, Microsoft, Adobe Youth Foundation.
Event Planning and Preparation
● Coordinate registration for events
● Suggest potential keynote speakers and mentors
● Adapt TIGed's educational resources for use in Global Encounters virtual classrooms and develop new learning activities as appropriate
● Populate the Global Encounters virtual classrooms with content and learning activities
Outreach and Promotions
● Distribute Global Encounters event announcements through appropriate network channels
● Engage with Global Encounters participants within the virtual classrooms ahead of each video conference, which includes encouraging, guiding, and supporting interactions between participants and helping ensure questions are explored and answered
● When necessary, help recruit and train mentors to assist in the engagement of Global Encounters participants
Event Assistance and Coordination
● Administration of the Livetsream account during events
● Moderation of the Livestream chat during events
● Moderation of the Twitter feed during events
● Whenever possible, participate in Global Encounters team meetings, TIG team meetings, and TIGed team meetings
● Share thoughts, ideas, and suggestions as they arise
● Contribute to the strategic development and continual improvement of the TIGed program by sharing observations, ideas, and constructive criticism
● Keep staff updated by posting to "My Week" every Friday and maintain regular communication with the Manager of Education Programs and the Director of Programming at TCGE
● Share interesting education related articles, news items, and resources with the team
● Add relevant bookmarks to the TIGed Delicious utilizing the established tagging system.
● Prepare a handover note to help to orient the next individual filling this role
Studies in a related field (e.g. Education, Communications, International Development, etc.)
● Significant interest in education, engagement and activism
● High level of media literacy and an understanding of the uses of web 2.0 tools
● Detail oriented, organized, with strong time management skills
● Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
● Able to work independently and collaboratively in a fast paced office environment
● Leadership skills and facilitation experience
● Willingness to learn new things and eagerness to acquire new skills
● Teaching certification
● Curriculum development experience
● Significant interest in youth-related issues and experience working with young people from a wide variety of cultures
● Fluency in languages other than English
● Experience working and/or volunteering in the non-profit sector
● International work or volunteer experience
Improve skills: Staff at TakingITGlobal improve a broad range of skills including various types of web development, design, marketing, evaluation and surveys, fundraising, writing, editing, and strategy. The organization provides a good platform to improve and learn new skills due to the varied range of projects, and the opportunity to learn from others.
Gain work experience: As a youth-driven organization, TIG is often the first or second ‘career-related’ work experience for its staff. This experience can be particularly valuable, considering that (due to constant growth; and most people being relatively new or on the same level of seniority) positions are generally both challenging and ‘senior’. TIG’s reputation is growing and may be respected by future employers, and TIG’s collaborative nature and opportunities for travel and representation mean staff may grow a solid professional network.
Work in a positive environment: Several factors contribute to TIG’s positive work environment. TIG’s office is a vibrant, inspiring space located in a central, accessible, fun part of Toronto. It encourages collaboration, and is more comfortable than most workplaces.
Make a difference:TakingITGlobal’s mission is essentially altruistic, and staff members have the (rare) opportunity to put their skills and energy to work for a ‘non-profit’, ‘good cause’. Staff can get a thrill out of the ‘cutting edge’ nature of TIG’s work, the clear growth in TIG’s reach, and the positive feedback provided by members and partners.
Contact: Human Resources
(include the title of the position in the subject of the e-mail)
Mail: 19 Duncan Street, Suite 505, Toronto, Ontario, M5H 3H1, Canada
For Inquiries: 416-977-9363
Please electronically mail your cover letter and resume and include the title of the position in the subject line of your email and let us know how you heard about the position. Please do not mail or personally submit resumes, as we are a small organization and do not have the capacity to respond.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, due to the volume of applications and inquiries we receive; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.