Global Encounters Educational Animator (Volunteer)
Operations | Toronto, ON, Canada
This part-time volunteer opportunity is perfect for a pre-service teacher or in-service teacher interested in gaining experience in transformative, technology-enabled, global education. Our ideal candidate is passionate about employing technology to support youth participation in global, action-oriented learning, and has a strong background in curriculum development and youth engagement. If this describes you, or someone you know, please apply or share this opportunity!
Why volunteer at TakingITGlobal?
- Have an impact! TakingITGlobal's programs reached millions of users last year, empowering young people in over 200 countries to express themselves, develop understanding, and take action to address social issues in their communities and around the world.
- Expand your horizons! TakingITGlobal has a strong international reputation within the non-profit, government, and corporate sectors. Your experience and strengthened skills will be respected by future employers and TakingITGlobal's collaborative nature means volunteers grow a solid professional network and gain experience vital for future job opportunities.
- Be part of a vibrant team! TakingITGlobal is a open, collaborative environment recognized as a WorldBlu Democratic Workplace and committed to fun wellness activites. Although headquartered in Toronto, TIG is an international organization and you'll have the opportunity to be inspired by partners and team members from all over the world!
Roles & Responsibilities:
Event Planning and Preperations
Suggest potential keynote speakers and mentors
Adapt TIGed's educational resources for use in Global Encounters virtual classrooms and develop new learning activities as appropriate
- Populate the Global Encounters virtual classrooms with content and learning activities
Outreach and Promotions
- Distribute Global Encounters event announcements through appropriate personal and professional network channels
Engage with Global Encounters participants within the virtual classrooms ahead of each video conference, which includes encouraging, guiding, and supporting interactions between participants and helping ensure questions are explored and answered
- When necessary, help recruit and train mentors to assist in the engagement of Global Encounters participants
Whenever possible, participate in Global Encounters team meetings, TIG team meetings, and TIGed team meetings
Share thoughts, ideas, and suggestions as they arise
Keep staff updated by posting to "My Week" every Friday and maintain regular communication with the Director of Education Programs and Human Resources Manager at TIG and Director of Programming at TCGE
Share interesting education related articles, news items, and resources with the team
- Prepare a handover note to help to orient the next individual filling this role
Studies in a related field (e.g. Education, Communications, International Development, etc.)
Significant interest in education, engagement and activism
High level of media literacy and an understanding of the uses of web 2.0 tools
Detail oriented, organized, with strong time management skills
Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
Able to work independently and collaboratively in a fast paced office environment
Leadership skills and facilitation experience
- Willingness to learn new things and eagerness to acquire new skills
Curriculum development experience
Significant interest in youth-related issues and experience working with young people from a wide variety of cultures
Fluency in languages other than English
Experience working and/or volunteering in the non-profit sector
- International work or volunteer experience
This position is offered on an initial 4-month volunteer basis with possibility of renewal. We are looking for someone who is able to commit 20 hours per week, working 2 days per week at the TakingITGlobal office and 4 hours weekly working remotely from their home. The successful candidate may request a travel stipend.
This volunteer position is part of the TakingITGlobal Fall Internship Program Cycle with the following details:
Duration: 4 months (September - December)
Hours: 20 hours per week (16 in Toronto office, 4 remote)
Application Deadline: July 19, 2013
Orientation Day: September 3rd, 2013
A week or two ahead of each Global Encounters video conference, student participants convene in content- and activity-rich virtual classroom spaces hosted by TakingITGlobal to get acquainted with one another and better understand the issues. This pre-engagement period enhances the real time video conference experience by building a sense of familiarity and community amongst participants while also enhancing students' abilities to ask informed questions during the live event. Running approximately 75 minutes, the video conferences then allow participants to connect in real time to see each other face-to-face, hear from keynote speaker with expertise in the field at hand, share their research and ideas, and engage in discussions both as a large group and in focused break-out sessions, while other schools observe through online streaming.