Unemployment Claims Coordinator
People Operations | Remote, California | Full Time | Opened about 2 months ago | From $28.00 to $32.00 per year
Founded in 2015 by former K-12 educators and administrators, Swing Education is one of the leading platforms assisting school districts in sourcing dependable, highly qualified substitute teachers. At the core of our company stands a diverse and visionary leadership team. In the face of a nationwide teacher shortage, Swing believes that every classroom should have a teacher, and every student deserves uninterrupted learning. By establishing a marketplace that facilitates seamless connections between substitute teachers and schools, Swing aims to streamline the pathway for K-12 schools and districts to access reliable, top-tier substitute teachers when they're needed most.
At Swing, we champion a fundamental belief: for our schools and students to thrive, our team must reflect the rich diversity of the thousands of students and educators we are privileged to serve. This belief is deeply ingrained in our organizational identity, embodying Living DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) as one of Swing's Four Core Values. We committed to creating a work culture that embraces inclusivity and belonging for every member of our present and future team. To learn more about Swing Education, and our Core Values please click here.
The Human Resources Unemployment Claims Coordinator is an entry-level position within the Human Resources team, specifically focused on supporting the management of unemployment claims. This role is designed for individuals who are eager to learn and develop domain expertise in HR processes, with a particular emphasis on the intricacies of unemployment claims administration. The HR Coordinator will work closely with the HR team to assist in the strategic, efficient and compliant handling of unemployment claims, including evaluating, analyzing and effectively responding to all unemployment claims, documenting claims, responses, and determinations, and providing essential support on cross functional communication and process improvement.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Unemployment Insurance claim experience required (California)
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Required experience navigating, completing data entry, and generating reports in our internal database
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Dependable, flexible and possess the ability to work independently
- Team player, able to collaborate with other departments
- Intermediate or advanced-level skills using G Suite and Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) experience required
- Prior related experience is a plus
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Claims Support and Investigation:
- Investigate, analyze, and respond to Unemployment Insurance requests on a national scale, working with Legal as needed to ensure responses are effective.
- Spot eligibility issues in unemployment filings and tailor a persuasive response in addressing the same.
- Collaborate with the team to gather relevant information and documentation for comprehensive responses.
- Complete telephonic interviews before claims examiners with an eye for detail and finesse.
Appealing Unfavorable Decisions:
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion in determining whether to appeal unfavorable determinations in the first instance.
- Complete and submit necessary appeal paperwork, utilizing assistance from other team members where necessary.
- Work with outside consultants and the legal team to prepare for virtual hearings.
Virtual Hearing Participation:
- Attend hearings before government agencies, most commonly, the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, often appearing as the Company’s lead witness.
- Utilize independent judgment and discretion in responding to questions of judges and hearing representatives.
- Contribute to the identification and implementation of best practices for coordinating responses to unemployment insurance claims and requests for information from government agencies.
Data Management and Reporting:
- Run reports to generate, manipulate, and effectively present data using tools such as Excel and Google Sheets.
- Establish metrics to measure the success and impact of unemployment claims management efforts.
Mail Processing and Remote Office Responsibilities:
- Timely scan and process mail, maintaining responsibilities associated with remote office tasks, and manage third party vendor relationships supporting unemployment program, such as virtual mail providers.
- Assist in offsite responsibilities, including picking up equipment and managing mail through the US Post Office and UPS.
- Track and assign compliance training required for employees to maintain employment, contributing to a culture of continuous learning.
Assistance with General HR Duties:
- Assist with various HR responsibilities and duties as needed, contributing to the overall effectiveness of the HR team.
Salary is commensurate on experience and is adjusted for cost of living standards dependent on position location. Swing Education offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes the following perks:
- Medical/dental/vision benefits
- Flexible Time Off (FTO)
- Paid holidays
- Parental leave
- Stock options
- Professional development reimbursement program
- Co-working membership reimbursement
- Mission-driven work
- Fun, collaborative, balanced culture
Applicants must be authorized to work for ANY employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.
Swing has raised over $60.8 Million in venture capital funding to date, including a recent $38 Million Series C investment. Since launching in 2015, Swing has successfully filled over 500,000 absence days and in the 2022-23 school year has supported schools in filling over one million instructional hours with substitute teachers. Operating proudly within a vast network of 2,800 partner schools across several states—California, Arizona, Illinois, Texas, New Jersey, New York, and Washington D.C.—Swing stands at the forefront of revolutionizing the educational landscape across the United States.