Senior Clojure Engineer
Engineering | Remote, USA | Full Time
On average, U.S. students are with substitute teachers for 5% of the typical school year. That means our students have substitute teachers for more than six months of their K-12 school career. The problem? We're suffering from a national shortage of substitute teachers.
Swing Education is focused on tackling the substitute teacher shortage. Our online platform makes it easy for great schools and quality subs to find each other. We help schools access more subs and offload tedious work associated with managing a pool of substitute teachers (recruiting, screening, payroll, etc.). Our network provides subs with a wider range of work opportunities to gain experience and build their professional network.
After more than 6 years in operation we are working with over 4000 schools in 7 states and have filled over 300k teacher absence days. We're a post-series B company with about 50 employees currently and our lead investors include GV (aka Google Ventures), Owl Ventures, and Social Capital. We also have a strong commitment to diversity and our employees are 60% people of color (30% underrepresented minorities) and over 50% female. Our board of directors is also 75% female and 75% people of color.
We’re a diverse and inclusive team. We find it easy to get up in the morning and work for teachers, schools, and students.
We are looking for a senior Clojure engineer to become a foundational member of a small engineering team. You will partner with product management and design to architect, implement, test, iterate and maintain features that will bring unprecedented technology to the school and substitute teacher marketplace. You will play a key role in helping us mature and scale our team, codebase, infrastructure, processes and products.This role will meaningfully impact Swing’s mission to ensure that learning never stops in K-12 classrooms.
This will be a full-time remote position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Foster a collaborative environment for you and your teammates to deliver high-quality, reliable, and well-tested features
- Ensure that the code meets performance, reliability, quality, security, and testability standards
- Mentor others to solve problems and lead complex projects
- Champion building products that produce valuable outcomes for our users
- Collaborate closely with product management and design on requirements, priorities, sizing efforts and tradeoffs
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to accomplish our holistic company goals
- Our primary applications are interactive ClojureScript web applications built on Reagent (which is a ClojureScript wrapper around React)
- Our mobile application is built with React Native
- Our backend API is written in Clojure and our primary data store is Datomic. All day-to-day development will be in Clojure.
- Please note that previous Clojure experience is not a requirement but is a nice-to-have. We are confident in our ability to train as needed and that engineers will enjoy working in Clojure.
- Deployment is CI-driven, built on top of AWS ECS and CloudFormation via Convox
What You’ll Bring:
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years experience with Clojure/ClojureScript or other functional languages
- Experience in using Datomic Cloud
- Significant experience designing and architecting software solutions
- Significant experience building and consuming APIs
- Experience leading projects and mentoring others to solve problems
- Comfortable with modern infrastructure essentials like AWS, Docker, CI/CD tools, etc.
- Experience developing and shipping production-grade services in an agile, product-oriented environment
- Track record for becoming a domain expert in both technical and business areas
Some Nice to Haves:
- Previous experience with Reagent/re-frame
- Previous experience building/deploying UI component libraries
- Previous mobile development experience via React Native
- Previous EdTech, startup, or online marketplace experience
- New user onboarding and first touch tailoring experience
We’re Looking for Someone Who Has:
- Excitement about working at a mission-driven startup, and the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the trajectory of the company
- Passion to foster a diverse and inclusive culture
- High standards, for themself and others, and attention to detail
- Pride in owning projects end to end and driving them to successful completion
- A strong sense of urgency and a bias to action
- Open communication skills — asks questions, assumes good intentions, and defaults to transparency