Product Design Lead
Product Management | San Mateo, CA | Full Time
Our current platform has proven to be highly effective in providing on-demand substitute teachers to schools. But this is just the beginning. To take our platform to the next level and make Swing Education a world-class product, we’re looking for our first full-time Product Design Lead. You’ll own how we think about user experience and design, and will drive execution of that vision in future versions of our product (both web and mobile).
You’ll be responsible for designing the UX and UI for all customer flows and touch points across web and mobile. The ideal candidate will understand user behavior, tradeoffs of workflow and design decisions, detail-oriented and passionate about modern design principles. He or she understands that the best interactions aren’t noticed by a user, because the design gets out of their way. The candidate will focus on simplicity and find ways to make complicated tasks easy.
Some of your responsibilities include
- Work within the product and engineering team to define problems and goals, and translate complex requirements into effective concepts and simple, elegant designs
- Build lo-fi and hi-fi prototypes to demonstrate and test your designs with our sub and school customers
- Simplify complex web interfaces and design compelling, consistent and intuitive user experiences
- Gauge the usability of new and existing product features and make constructive critiques and suggestions for change
- Guide the visual and interactive evolution of the product across multiple product lines
Who we are
Swing Education is focused on tackling the substitute teacher shortage problem. Our online platform makes it easy for great schools and quality subs to find each other. We help schools access more subs and offload tedious work associated with sub onboarding (recruiting, screening, payroll, etc.). And we help subs find jobs, gain experience and build their professional network.
This position reports to the VP of Product and is based in San Mateo, CA. Swing is a revenue generating, Series A, Y Combinator company (through ImagineK12).
- 5+ years of experience in UX, visual and interaction design for web and mobile applications
- A deep understanding of user-centered design principles, intuitive and highly functional flows, and responsive web design
- Experienced in customer research, lo-fi and hi-fi prototyping, and usability testing
- Degree in HCI, Design, or relevant experience preferred
- Front-end development experience, including HTML and CSS
- Some experience in creating polished marketing design collateral
- Clean and streamlined design aesthetic
- Medical/dental benefits
- Generous PTO
- Paid holidays
- Stock options
- A stocked kitchen and unlimited caffeine
- Mission-driven work
- Fun, collaborative, balanced culture