Estimating / Take-Off Technician (Earthwork / Structure & Pipe)
Estimating | Santa Ana, CA | Full Time
Building Your Future at Sukut Construction!
Join a Leader - Sukut Construction is one of America's leading heavy civil engineering contractors with 50 years of proven industry expertise. In California, we are recognized as the largest mass excavator and grading contractor, having moved a billion cubic yards of earth using our own fleet of more than 225 pieces of earthmoving equipment. At Sukut we understand the value of an excellent work environment. Sukut is the recipient of numerous "Top Workplace" and “Excellent in Safety” awards, and Sukut has clearly established itself as an employer of choice. Sukut is equally proud of the unique and successful company culture which has been established throughout the years.
Join a Team - Now is your opportunity to join our company as an Estimating/Take-off Technician. The Estimating/Take-off Technician will support the Estimating Department by interpreting construction documents to determine construction material and earthwork quantity take-offs, bids, and estimate set-up for heavy civil construction projects.
Duties include and are not limited to:
- Calculate material quantity requirements – take-offs (concrete, steel, drainage, sewer, storm drain, spillways, pipes, etc.)
- Calculate different earthwork quantities (Mass Excavation, Over-excavation, Remedial, buttress, stabilization keys, fill keys), structural excavation, structural backfill, and related excavation material.
- Area take-offs of the project (slopes, pads, and streets)
- Converting 2D civil engineer CAD files to 3D CAD models. (Residential Tracts, Landfills, Corridor’s, underground utilities and etc.)
- Per company standards, maintain the use of Sukut layer, plot, and color on all topographic maps.
- Plotting and coloring detailed maps to distinguish between different pay quantities.
- Maintain take-off spreadsheets for organizing material description and quantities, back up of work, and summary of the project.
- Maintain a log of all plans and specifications, (bid plans, contract plans, revision plans)
- Prepare and manage RFQ’s to vendors and sub-contractors.
- Review construction notes to quantify the scope of work and specs.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in computer programs such as Word, Excel, Blue beam etc..
- Proficiency in computer-aided drafting software tools such as Trimble Heavy Civil, Carlson Civil and Civil 3D.
- Ability to read Civil/Mechanical drawings.
- Skill in managing multiple projects with precision and speed.
- Basic understanding of work-related terms such as “Unit Price” and “Lump Sum.”
- Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines while maintaining a focus on quality and process improvement.
- Ability to maintain job or task focus in pressured or time-sensitive situations.
- Detail oriented and self-motivated.
- Willingness and demonstrative initiative to learn new programs, systems, and tools as they become available.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate’s degree and/or Certification in Computer-aided drafting.
- Computer training sufficient to complete duties of the job.
- 2+ years’ work experience reflecting the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above.
- Any equivalent combination of acceptable education, training, and experience.
Sukut is an employee-owned company with an exceptional benefits package including 401k retirement plan, medical, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, sick and vacation time, and profit sharing potential.
Sukut values the contributions of a diverse workforce and is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.