Corporate Safety Executive
Executive | Santa Ana, CA | Full Time
Building Your Future at Sukut Construction!
Join a Leader - Sukut Construction’s talented employees move about a half-million cubic yards of earth a day! All of this hard work has established our reputation with clients as a valued partner with the expertise necessary to handle their most difficult projects involving mass excavation, grading, landfills, environmental cleanups, highways and roads, storm drain systems, and emergency landslide repair. Our hard work has also led to multiple awards for excellence, and our designation as one of the nation’s top 300 contractors. We have been in business for over 45 years.
Join a Team - Sukut is a friendly place where communication and innovation are encouraged and where people have fun doing rewarding work. Team members have come to expect inspiring challenges, careers full of opportunity, rewards for great work, and leaders who genuinely care about their personal growth and success. This may be why so many of our employees want to stay with Sukut right through their retirement and why we are consistently named one of the “Top Work Place” by Orange County Register and Business Journal.
The role of the Corporate Safety Executive is to promote, lead, and champion an effective safety culture by providing strategy, leadership and subject matter expertise. In this leadership position developing, maintaining and leveraging positive working relationships will be crucial. Technical knowledge and expertise is required in order to implement, update or change the company’s existing safety program to ensure employee safety and regulatory compliance. In addition, the Safety Executive will lead a team of 1 Safety Director and 2 Field Safety Representatives.
- Responsible for promoting a strong workplace safety, health, and environmental program for the organization
- Lead the effective management, motivation and training, of safety and regulatory compliance
- Assess, analyze, and proactively report on safety trends to senior leadership
- Ensure an effective process is in place for reporting, investigations, and follow-up for incidents, vehicle accidents, and near-misses
- Oversee maintenance of compliance database records and reporting
- Stay current with industry standards, technology, developments, and regulatory changes
- Work with senior leadership to establish strategic goals, metrics, and priorities for safety in support of company objectives
- Mentors and develop existing safety personnel and addresses negative trends and deficiencies
- Manage regulatory challenges and advise management on recommended course of action
- Ability to work effectively with Project managers and field personnel (Superintendents, Foreman, etc..) based in remote locations and job sites to promote Sukut’s safety culture.
- Evaluate, develop, and implement safety solutions for a growing and complex organization
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Environmental Sciences or related field , Master’s Degree preferred.
- 10+ years’ experience in construction safety in a leadership role
- Strong working knowledge of applicable federal, state and local safety regulations; thorough knowledge of OSHA and CAL-OSHA regulations
- Safety Related Credentials, CSP, CHST, OSHA, MSHA, are preferred
- Experience implementing awareness/branding campaigns and techniques to create and maintain a strong safety culture
- Ability to learn company safety policies and possess the confidence and leadership to enforce policies
- Self-starter. Able to work both as a solid team player with executives and project management as well as independently when needed
- Ability to work collaboratively to solve operational challenges and move projects forward in a safety an efficient manner
- Skilled and experienced in presentations, training and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical skills, strategic orientation and leadership presence
- Must be able to travel to remote and local jobsites, and up to 70% of the time
- Proficient in Excel, Word, Power Point, and Outlook
Sukut is an employee-owned company with an exceptional benefits package including 401k retirement plan,paid medical, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, sick and vacation time, and profit sharing potential. We value the contributions of a diverse workforce and we are a proud Equal Employment Opportunity employer.