VP/Head of Business Development
Business Development | Somerville, MA | Full Time
Background & Overview
Cement is the most massively consumed material after water. Each kg of cement results in 1 kg of CO2 emissions, amounting to an astounding 8% of total global annual C02 emissions. Demand for green cement to build infrastructure and housing is poised to grow exponentially as cities and builders search for environmentally responsible ways to manage increases in population and urbanization. Until now, there has been little innovation to mitigate the emissions from cement. Leading MIT Materials Science and Engineering scientists Dr. Leah Ellis and MIT cleantech Prof. Yet-Ming Chiang have discovered how to do it.
Founded in 2020 and backed by leading investors, including the Engine, Prime Impact Fund, and Lowercarbon Capital, Sublime Systems is revolutionizing cement-making using clean renewable energy and an electrochemical process that eliminates CO2 emissions and meets ASTM standards.
As we push into the market in 2022, we are searching for a business development leader to establish Sublime Systems’ lead in the low-carbon cement market.
This is an exciting opportunity to transform how the world makes cement. Sublime Systems seeks a business development professional to:
- Be the operational focal point for the company’s business development initiatives.
- Lead formulation and refinement of business development, go-to-market, and partnerships strategy together with the executive team and advisors.
- Conceive, organize, and execute multi-sector partnerships along the value chain that will make Sublime the industry leader in low carbon cement, including initial product sales.
- Own the competitive landscape analysis and participate in market research and opportunity discovery
- Mentor and develop people across the organization, while ensuring exceptional team dynamics.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
The ideal candidate has:
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead teams within a dynamic, evolving environment.
- Experience forming strategic business partnerships and negotiating deals that span business development and sales, from term sheets/MOUs, joint development agreements, and joint ventures, to stacking up purchase orders from customers.
- Ability to negotiate difficult deals in commodity markets where margins are thin and relationships are important.
- At least three years of senior leadership experience, preferably in a startup
- Experience working in cement, concrete, construction, or a commodity industry preferred
- Willingness to travel up to half the time.
- Leadership mentality: highly motivated, able to set aggressive goals for self and department and meet goals.
- Accountable: methodically organized, transparently reporting on progress, and collaboratively adjusting approach when facing bumps in the road.
- Humble/self-aware: easy to work with, able to give and receive feedback constructively and respectfully.
- Technical orientation: while an engineering education is not required, the ability to thrive in a technical environment is critical.
- Strategic orientation: capable of helping iterate on corporate and go-to-market strategy based on learning from the market, identifying partnership archetypes that would help accelerate the business and go into the market and acquire them.
- Analytical: able to understand and model value creation for customers, help assess and set optimal pricing, and let numbers drive discussions.
- Resourceful: Able to thrive in an unstructured environment where supporting resources may not be readily available and must be identified and set up.
Sublime’s employees are vested in a high-potential success story, with competitive compensation, benefits, and comprehensive PTO and leave policies, complemented by stock options in a high-growth start-up company with world-class venture capital backing.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.