Senior Research Scientist – Electrochemical Process Development
Research and Development | Somerville, MA | Full Time
Background & Overview
Cement is one of the most massively consumed materials in the world. Each kg of cement results in a kg of CO2 released to the atmosphere, amounting to 8% of annual global CO2 emissions. Demand for cement is increasing as the world’s population grows and urbanizes. Better, greener ways of making cement are needed if we are to curb CO2 emissions and mitigate global warming.
Sublime Systems is developing new technology to make CO2-neutral cement using renewable electricity instead of fossil fuels. Sublime was founded by Dr. Leah Ellis, one of MIT Technology Review’s 35 Innovators under 35, and Prof. Yet-Ming Chiang, serial cleantech entrepreneur in MIT’s Department of Materials Science and Engineering. Sublime is backed by leading cleantech investors including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, and Lowercarbon Capital.
Sublime Systems seeks a senior research scientist to contribute to the development of our novel electrochemical cement manufacturing process. This contributor will be responsible for leading the development of Sublime Systems’ core electrochemical system, integrating this system with the balance of our pilot plant, and working closely with the rest of our engineering team to scale our technology. As a key member of Sublime Systems’ rapidly growing team, the senior research scientist will work closely with the company’s leadership and can expect to have a large impact on the development of our technology. This is an exciting opportunity to combat global climate change by transforming how the world makes cement.
● Designing, building, and testing electrochemical device prototypes using industrially relevant, scalable materials and device designs
● Developing new experimental tools, methods, and performance metrics to accurately quantify device performance
● Performing lab experiments including electrochemical testing and materials characterization, analyzing data, and presenting results
● Devising and implementing strategies to improve electrochemical performance
● Integrating the prototypes with other unit operations in Sublime’s manufacturing process to measure and optimize performance of the integrated process
● Contributing to the development of Sublime’s complete, innovative solution
● Championing safety, especially in the development of experimental processes and in the construction of Sublime’s pilot plant
● Helping to develop a supportive, innovative, and dynamic company culture
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
The role will focus on electrochemical cell design, testing, characterization, and optimization. This role is expected to be hands-on, with significant time spent in the laboratory. The senior research scientist is expected to become an intellectual leader within Sublime’s technical team. The ideal candidate will be independent, results-driven, ambitious, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
● Ph.D. in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, or a related field, plus three or more years of relevant work experience. Candidates with work experience in industrial electrochemical processes are preferred.
● Strong grasp of electrochemistry fundamentals, including electrochemical kinetics, thermodynamics, and transport phenomena.
● Ability to design, build, and test prototype electrochemical cells.
● Ability to bridge the gap from molecular-level electrochemical phenomena to electrode and cell design and performance characteristics.
● Ability to select and perform analytical techniques for physical and chemical characterization of electrochemical device components and aqueous solutions.
● Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
● Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
● Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
● Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.