Pilot Plant Engineer
Engineering | Somerville, MA | Full Time
Background & Overview
Cement is one of the most massively consumed materials in the world. Each kg of cement results in a kg of CO2 released to the atmosphere, amounting to 8% of annual global CO2 emissions. Demand for cement is increasing as the world’s population grows and urbanizes. Better, greener ways of making cement are needed if we are to curb CO2 emissions and mitigate global warming.
Sublime Systems is developing new technology to make CO2-neutral cement using renewable electricity instead of fossil fuels. Sublime was founded by Dr. Leah Ellis, who was named MIT Technology Review’s 35 Innovators under 35, and Prof. Yet-Ming Chiang, serial cleantech entrepreneur and professor at MIT’s Department of Materials Science. Sublime is backed by leading cleantech investors: The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, and Lowercarbon Capital.
Sublime Systems seeks a creative and dynamic engineer to support the design, installation, start-up, and operations of our first pilot plant. The Pilot Plant Engineer will work on the build out of the pilot plant with focus on sizing/procuring equipment, coordinating installation, and troubleshooting startup and operations. As a member of Sublime Systems’ small but growing team the right individual will be a key technical resource in the scale up of Sublime’s technology. This is an exciting opportunity to combat global climate change by transforming how the world makes cement. This position is located in Somerville, MA.
- Size equipment, generate equipment specifications, and work with vendors to meet project goals with primary focus on project schedule
- Conceptualize layout interconnecting piping/tubing/hoses and work on the installation leveraging outside contractors where necessary
- Identify and source consumables for the pilot plant (i.e. chemicals, filters, spare parts, etc.) and coordinate removal of waste materials (solids, wastewater, etc)
- Participate in the analysis and interpretation of lab, pilot and demo scale data, technical literature, and process simulations.
- Collaborate with R&D to frame out lab scale and pilot scale experiments to answer key commercial scale technical/economic questions
- Contribute to the development of Sublime’s commercial scale design through vendor research, techno-economic analyses, and process design
- Champion safety, especially in pilot plant design and operation
- Foster Sublime Systems’ reputation by delivering innovative solutions
- Help to develop a supportive, innovative, and dynamic company culture
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
The role will initially focus on the development of the design, installation, troubleshooting, and operation of Sublime’s pilot facility. This role is expected to be hands-on, with a significant amount of time spent engaging in pilot scale testing and troubleshooting. However, we are looking for versatile candidates with a desire to translate learnings from the pilot plant into commercial scale mass and energy balance models, process design improvements, and reactor scale-up strategy. Successful candidates will be results-driven, ambitious, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities.
- B.S. in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering or a related field.
- Capable of communicating technical scope in multiple forms (written, drawings, verbal) to vendors, contractors, and coworkers
- Knowledge of and passion for applying engineering fundamentals to chemical plant design and operation with a strong willingness to learn
- Familiarity with acid/base chemistry, fluid dynamics, and filtration.
- Able to perform lab work including preparing solutions, setting up and operating laboratory/pilot reactors, and carrying out analytical methods such as titrations.
- Able to lift objects up to 50 lbs.
- Versatile. Capable of developing detail oriented analyses while being happy to roll up sleeves and solve hands on problems.
- Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.