Background & Overview
Cement is the most massively consumed material besides water. Each kg of cement results in a kg of CO2, amounting to 8% of annual global CO2 emissions. Demand for cement is increasing, as the world’s population grows and urbanizes. Better, greener ways of making cement are needed if we are to curb CO2 emissions and mitigate global warming.
Sublime Systems is developing new technology to make CO2-neutral cement using renewable electricity, instead of fossil fuels. Sublime was founded by Dr. Leah Ellis, who was named MIT Technology Review’s 35 Innovators under 35, and Prof. Yet-Ming Chiang, serial cleantech entrepreneur and professor at MIT’s Department of Materials Science. Sublime is backed by leading cleantech investors: The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, and Lowercarbon Capital.
Sublime Systems seeks a thoughtful and pragmatic Director of Engineering to accelerate the development and construction of the company’s pilot plant. The right person will have experience leading scale-up of chemical processes from laboratory to pilot scale and will be ready to get hands-on with our ground-breaking material and equipment. As one of Sublime’s first employees, the Director of Engineering will make a huge impact on the development of our technology and be a defining team member. This is an exciting opportunity to combat global climate change by transforming how the world makes cement.
● Recruiting and managing a team to establish productive cross-functional work processes and collaborative culture
● Owning the design and construction of the pilot process in Sublime’s facility, including selection, design, procurement, and integration of pilot and production-scale equipment based on initial R&D
● Guiding development of the pilot plant process flow sheet and P&ID
● Performing technoeconomic analysis to guide pilot plant design and construction, evaluateing alternative technical approaches, and identifying profitable use cases
● Championing safety in all of Sublime Systems’ activities, including leading a hazard and operability study for Sublime’s pilot plant
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
The ideal candidate is results-driven, ambitious, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
● At least a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering or a related field, and at least ten years’ relevant experience working in an environment geared towards pilot system deployment and developing new chemical processes
● Expertise in engineering project management
● Ability to grow and manage a high-functioning team including both full time employees and contractors with diverse skills including chemical, mechanical, and electrical engineering to complete unit operation design, procurement, and integration
● Experience working with contractors including engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) firms
● Experience with process monitoring, control, and automation
● Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor