Cement Testing Technician
Research and Development | Somerville, MA | Part Time
Background & Overview
Cement is the most massively consumed material besides water. Each kg of cement results in a kg of CO2 released to the atmosphere, amounting to 8% of annual global CO2 emissions. Demand for cement is increasing as the world’s population grows and urbanizes. Better, greener ways of making cement are needed if we are to curb CO2 emissions and mitigate global warming.
Sublime Systems is developing new technology to make CO2-neutral cement using renewable electricity instead of fossil fuels. Sublime was founded by Dr. Leah Ellis, who was named MIT Technology Review’s 35 Innovators under 35, and Prof. Yet-Ming Chiang, serial cleantech entrepreneur and professor at MIT’s Department of Materials Science. Sublime is backed by leading cleantech investors: The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, and Lowercarbon Capital.
Sublime Systems seeks a cement testing technician to contribute to the development of our technology. The technician will be responsible for conducting laboratory testing of Sublime Systems cement. This is an exciting opportunity to combat global climate change by transforming how the world makes cement.
- Preparing cement test specimens
- Measuring cement properties such as compressive strength, setting time, and flow characteristics in Sublime Systems’ laboratory
- Championing safety in all of Sublime’s work
- Helping to develop a supportive, innovative, and dynamic company culture
- This is a part time role. The cement testing technician will be expected to work three or four shifts of 6-8 hours each, including Saturday, Sunday, and one or two weekdays.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
The role will focus on hands-on cement testing. The technician’s time will be spent preparing test samples and performing measurements in the laboratory. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a laboratory, and is results-driven, detail-oriented, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- High school diploma required. Associate degree or higher preferred. Students currently pursuing a college degree are encouraged to apply.
- Able to perform lab work including preparing cement test specimens, setting up and operating testing equipment, and recording results.
- Mechanically inclined and comfortable operating machinery such as a compression tester.
- Able to lift objects up to 50 lbs.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.