Lead Java User Interface Engineer
Software Engineering | San Mateo, CA | Full Time
At Stormpath, we believe the rising tide of developer services, powered by APIs and open source software, is changing software development. Today, for the first time ever, developers operating in the cloud have access to more advanced technology than a Fortune 100 competitor stuck in a data center.
As our Lead User Interface Engineer, you will focus on spearheading the ongoing development of an easy to use yet powerful web user interface. You will get to define architectures and work with the latest server-side UI technologies like Vaadin. You will work with our amazing visual designer to blow the socks off our clients. And most importantly, you will lead our team of full stack developers when they step in to help with UI development.
Stormpath is the first easy and secure user management and authentication service for developers. By offloading user management, developers can bring new applications to market faster, reduce development and operations costs, and protect their users with best-in-class security. Built for developers, Stormpath offers an easy API, open source SDKs, and an active community.
In this role, you will:
- Integrate web-based UIs with REST + JSON APIs
- Utilize the latest server-sde UI frameworks like Vaadin
- Provide thought leadership on UI and application architecture
- Provide leadership and direction to full-stack team when working on UI
- Help on an as-needed basis with development further down in the stack
- Translate information architecture wireframes and visual design comps into beautiful and functional user interfaces
- Offer insight and feedback on the product and its roadmap
- Passion for building user interfaces
- 4+ years of developing web-based Java applications and their UIs
- Strong understanding of CSS 2 and 3 (specificity, progressive enhancement, etc)
- A self-starter and self-learner: you RTFM often
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Start-up experience
- Strong experience with Vaadin or GWT UI toolkits
- Advanced-level knowledge of design patterns and UI development principles
- Experience themeing with LESS, Compass, or SASS
- Developing and integrating with server-side page technologies like JSP or GSP
- Open-source coding and/or contribution. Strong preference to those who have participated in open-source projects as a committer
- B.S. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or Engineering
- Competitive salary and stock options packages
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance
- Located in downtown San Mateo, near 101 and two blocks from the CalTrain
- Free lunches, dinners, snacks, and drinks
- Customized ergonomic setup with a nice big Apple Thunderbolt display
- Smart, hard-working, collaborative, friendly team with real credibility in the developer, security, and startup space
- We invest in your growth: $30/month to spend on books or training.