Software Engineer - Backend (Intermediate to Senior)
Engineering | Vancouver, BC, Canada | Full Time
Stellar is reimagining and revolutionizing business aviation, making it simpler, more transparent, and more accessible for more people. Our software helps aircraft operators manage, optimize, and grow their businesses, while collaborating with their partners online. Stellar operates the Stellar Marketplace—an independent, business-to-business, online exchange for business aviation—and provides flight operations and data analytics solutions.The combination is unique in the industry and delivers exceptional benefits to charter operators, brokers, and corporate flight departments.
Our engineers invent elegant and performant solutions to complex problems and deliver products to improve our customers' bottom line, drive our business and reinvent an industry. We are looking to add mid to senior level java developers to our established engineering team. The platform and tools you build will be used by private jet operators across the world to manage their entire business operations. You'' work with an amazing, collaborative, motivated, and results oriented group of people with the latest technology and be solving real world problems for an industry ripe for a change..
We are headquartered in Silicon Valley and our core engineering teams are located primarily in the San Francisco Bay area and Vancouver, Canada. Stellar's entire team has been functioning in a fully remote capacity since the onset of the COVID pandemic and we haven't missed a beat. Ideally you are someone who, once we can return to an office, is located near one of our core development centres. However we will consider exceptional candidates within North America and, preferably, in the west coast time zone.
Who We're Looking For:
- You are passionate about technology
- You love solving problems, big and small, and put the customer's needs first. Ideally, you have an interest in the aviation space and solving the unique needs of this industry, but this isn't a requirement.
- You bring your own unique strengths to a team, but realize the value of the group.
- You are highly motivated and productive, with excellent communication skills.
- You have rigorous attention to detail and ask tough questions
- You bring practical thinking to the fast-paced start-up environment
- You will contribute to discussions but be respectful to others' opinions, and fully support decisions made by the team.
- You will help others and know when to ask for help in order to meet the team's sprint goals
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Minimum 3+ years of core Java experience; 1+ years writing robust applications using Spring Framework (Boot, Cloud, Security, MVC, Streams, etc) or equivalent JEE framework
- Solid Knowledge of and experience with Microservice architecture and tools
- Strong understanding of object oriented programming and domain driven design
- Agile development experience using Scrum/Kanban
Additional requirements for Senior Software Engineer
- Minimum 7+ years of core Java experience; 3+ years Spring Framework or equivalent JEE framework
- Hands on experience with distributed multi-tenant cloud native applications, their design and challenges.
- Experienced in Test Driven Development
- Experience across many flavors of RDBMs, NoSQL and Document stores.
- Continuous integration/deployment/testing experience with build technologies such as Maven/Gradle
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with full stack development
- Experience with routing, search and optimization algorithms
- Experience with federated identity and security architectures, specifically with OpenID Connect, SAML 2.0 and JWTs
- Experience with Netflix OSS stack (Eureka, Zuul, Ribbon, Feign)
- Experience with messaging driven services using AMQP/RabbitMQ/Kafka
- Have used Docker/Containerization in both development and production environments
- Experience with data architecture and ETL processes and tools
- Experience participating in open source software development
- Flexible vacation policy
- Competitive salary & equity based on experience
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision coverage
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Company (virtual) Social Events
- Get in on the ground floor of a highly-collaborative, rapidly growing start-up disrupting the aviation industry
- Note: Perks are subject to change in company's discretion