Database Engineer / Data Management Guru
Analytics & Data Science | Austin, TX | Full Time
Square Root is hiring: Database Engineer / Data Management Guru
About Square Root
We are Square Root, an Austin-based tech startup and a leading enterprise SaaS provider. CoEFFICIENT, our flagship product, is a cloud based platform that leverages data to help large retail networks improve performance. Today, some of the biggest players in automotive and retail use our product to optimize their daily operations.
Since 2013, we've received a number of awards for our business growth and unique culture, including being named an Inc. 5000 company, the 7th best small company to work for in Texas by Texas Monthly, and a top local startup by the Austin A-List. Most recently, we were named the 15th best small company to work for in the U.S. by Fortune magazine.
Our business is built on understanding our customers' data more deeply than they do. We have a broad range of web, behavioral, descriptive, financial, and operational data on consumers, companies, and dealers in the automotive industry. Nearly every Square Root project involves integrating heterogeneous, unstructured data, making sense of it with little help, mining it for insights, and applying it in novel ways to solve business problems. As our business doubles every year, the complexity of our data warehouse grows even faster.
- We need you to make data management an ever-greater differentiator for Square Root by:
- Maintaining our dozens of data sources and import schedules and processes to deliver 100% reliability and integrity, even in the face of poor-quality source data
- Applying innovation, intelligence, and heuristic approaches to our ETL rather than standard, fixed brute-force rules
- Continuously enhancing our technology platform and toolsets as new problems arise: building and buying when appropriate
- Becoming a subject matter expert in the data itself, to apply better semantic checks and structure the data more intelligently than anyone else could
- Building an agile version management and production release process for data
- Ensuring our data warehouse scales appropriately as our data sets grow
- Working with our customers to help them develop more agile internal data management processes
We use a range of tools and technologies: AWS, Postgres, SQL Server, Oracle, Facebook Presto, OLAP, bash, Python, R, Perl, etc. We are looking for someone who has a deep understanding of ETL concepts but is not just a DBA or ETL developer, who is not wedded to any particular toolkit, and who is comfortable with programming, algorithmic thinking, automated testing, and pushing the envelope on agile database development and process automation. This position is perfect for a data junkie with a development bent.
- Bachelor's degree in CS, or equivalent experience.
- At least 2 years of work history managing complex data sets with novel, fault-tolerant approaches. (Significantly more compensation is available for those with deeper experience.)
- Track record of success in using diverse technologies and approaches to manage data in an extremely dynamic environment.
- Comfort with and commitment to being our technology lead in a critical area of our business.
Square Root’s Radical Culture
Our culture is at the core of everything we do. We have fun, but we work hard. So, as we grow we’re not only looking to hire the best and brightest, but we’re also looking for people that share our values. This is the code we live by:
- Think big. Do bigger. We think big ideas are meant to be pursued. So, we think critically and have a bias for action and impact. We continually iterate to deliver smarter direction and better software.
- Be customer-inspired. We aim to over-deliver and delight by doing what’s best, not just what’s asked. That’s why we make it a priority to understand how our customers operate and the challenges that they face. We look for inspiration in the details so that we can deliver relevant and impactful solutions.
- Partner. We build strong relationships by having a partnership mindset – internally and externally. We go above and beyond to help our customers and one another succeed.
- Thrive. We set our internal bar high so that we can bring enthusiasm, speed, and innovation to the enterprise. We empower each Square Root employee to take ownership, act, and iterate to make everything we do – from work product to working environment – better. We revere personal drive, growth, and balance. We celebrate successes, and, sometimes, we just celebrate.
Square Root Perks
- No dress code, office hours, or vacation policy – only results matter
- A small, innovative team with a passion for making a huge impact on large, enterprise customers
- Competitive benefits and compensation
- Modern-retro downtown offices
- Team lunches, stocked kitchens, coffee-snob compliant coffee machines
- Regular office happy hours and a full office bar including local beer on tap and an expansive scotch collection