SENIOR SOFTWARE DEVELOPER, BACK-END
Engineering | Sunnyvale, CA | Full Time
Square Panda is a startup headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA. We are in the Ed-Tech space, focusing on children's early literacy.
Square Panda is seeking a Senior Back-End Software Engineer at our Sunnyvale, CA headquarters who will work with the internal Square Panda team (engineering, product, educational curriculum) to develop and extend functionality of our cloud-based services. Square Panda’s Educational Cloud Platform delivers critical functionality to our innovative educational technology products.
The primary duties of the Senior Back-End Software Engineer will include developing the server-side software for our cloud platform – working with proprietary as well as industry-standard APIs to interface with web pages, mobile apps, and other systems. Additional duties will include developing internal tools, conducting technical research projects, and supporting partners and internal stakeholders as required.
The successful candidate will be broadly skilled in server/web/cloud technologies with strong programming experience in multiple, common. state-of-the-art programming and scripting languages, algorithms, systems/software architecture, and data analytics. Previous experience with a multi-server product and a knowledge of Production (24x7) operations is a big plus.
The Square Panda team is fun-loving, quirky, and full of self-starters. We are looking for someone who values working independently but with the support of a skilled and diverse group of individuals. You should be motivated, enjoy a collaborative work environment, and want to have an impact on the world -- we help children learn how to read!!!
This position reports to the Director of Software Engineering, with important relationships to the the Product Team.
- Write a lot of code, adding innovative features to our cloud services
- Participate in designing overall architecture and individual features
- Extend and improve our existing software
- Debug issues and fix bugs
- Improve and extend product documentation
- Work collaboratively with other arms of the engineering team that are co-located in other countries
- Work with technical and non-technical stakeholders to develop product requirements and innovative solutions
- BS in Computer Science or a related field and relevant experience
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Strong software development skills such as:
- experience with a source control system
- experience with an issue tracking system
- writing and maintaining your own unit tests
- experience with the design and development life-cycle
- knowledge of debugging and problem solving methodology, particularly as reported against Production software
- Strong experience in many of the following areas:
- The server part of client-server programming
- Modern, object-oriented programming languages: Java, C++, Scala, Ruby
- Programming frameworks: Spring, MVC, NodeJS
- Scripting languages: Shell, Python, Perl, PHP
- UNIX systems and development
- Databases: Mongo, NoSQL, relational such as MySQL or Postgres
- REST-compliant APIs, SOA
- Cloud platform expertise: AWS, AliCloud
- Excellent communication skills
- Likes to work collaboratively
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Experience working on a Production (24x7) environment
- Experience with distributed programs or micro-services
- Experience with highly-available and scalable systems
- Previous start-up experience
- Have worked on shipping product
- Additional skills that add value to our company (technical or domain)
- A passion for our product space and a desire to improve the lives of others