SENIOR PRODUCT DESIGNER - UI/UX
Engineering | Sunnyvale, CA | Full Time
Square Panda is an educational technology startup dedicated to helping kids acquire the skills they need to be a fluent reader. Our team is comprised of passionate researchers, designers, engineers, and artists. At Square Panda, we believe multisensory play is the key to unlocking memorable learning experiences. We're looking for an individual who is excited to build our next generation products to help kids become strong, confident readers!
The ideal Senior Product Design candidate is a thoughtful generalist who can apply their strong design skills to any problem. This person will own high-level design decision across the Square Panda product to achieve a consistent and effective look and feel and user experience. Additionally, the Senior Product Designer will work on some low-level solutioning across multiple product lines, from new data visualizations for teachers, to license management for administrators, to in-game player interfaces, as well as apply their solutions across multiple platforms (web, mobile, 3rd party social apps, etc.). This role reports to the Director of Product.
- Define and maintain a unified brand aesthetic that spans across platforms
- Design interactions for new features, applying existing design patterns and creating new ones, across our platforms.
- Collaborate with engineers and product managers to flesh out designs and user experience, with other designers for feedback and critique, and with internal stakeholders (curriculum, sales, marketing) to evaluate the impact of your work
- Conduct user testing sessions to validate your designs
- Develop and maintain brand integrity
- Conduct competitive analyses of other websites that operate in the same space
- Prepare customer analyses based on our target demographics
- Coach, inspire, and mentor team members, providing strong design guidance
- Work closely with the front-end engineering team to help them strategically choose or create pattern libraries
- 5+ years experience in UX/UI Design
- Strong end to end design and user experience skills
- Excellent judgment and prioritization -- know which details matter most
- Experience building clear, effective interactions to accomplish product goals
- Great communication skills – produce effective documentation to convey design specifications and intent
- Familiar and experienced with a variety of user testing strategies
- Prior experience defining reusable components or working with pattern libraries
- Prior experience in designing EdTech products
- UI Development Skills – competence with HTML, CSS, JS, etc
- Prior experience designing products for a global market (US, China, India, etc.)
- Prior experience in a startup