QA SOFTWARE MANAGER
Engineering | Sunnyvale, CA | Full Time
Square Panda is seeking a QA Manager at our Sunnyvale, CA headquarters who will work with various Square Panda teams to develop and qualify our cloud-based services and client software.
The primary duties of the QA Manager include growing the software test team, developing various automation frameworks, and assessing the readiness of software for release. You will interface with teams across multiple countries and at times work with other functional teams such as hardware/firmware, data science, and games to coordinate testing and verification.
The successful candidate will be strongly versed in the software development life-cycle and have good technical experience. You should value being a hands-on manager and can hire and mentor QA engineers in best practices and processes. You should want to understand how all elements of the system software ecosystem work together and develop QA approaches that fit the overall strategy. You will work with development and QA to define manual testing and test automation coding norms, including technology/tool selection, development of automation frameworks, including oversight of their implementation.
The Square Panda team is fun-loving, quirky, and full of self-starters. We are looking for someone who values working independently but with the support of a skilled and diverse group of individuals. You should be motivated, can figure out what to do next when there is downtime, and want to have an impact on the world.
This position reports to the Director of Software Engineering, with important relationships to the Product Team.
- Develop and apply testing processes and procedures
- You will recruit, hire, and lead an extraordinary team of Software QA Engineers, with 4-6 direct reports, most in remote locations
- Provide assessment on the release readiness of software releases
- Review requirements, specifications and technical design documents to provide timely and meaningful feedback
- Create detailed test plans
- Estimate, prioritize, plan and coordinate testing activities
- Design, contribute to and maintain automated testing framework(s)
- Design, develop and execute automated test cases
- Mentor QA Engineers through automation development and Square Panda's testing processes
- Identify, record, document thoroughly and track bugs
- Track quality assurance metrics, like defect densities and open defect counts
- Work with technical and non-technical stakeholders to develop product requirements and innovative solutions
- BS in Computer Science or a related field and relevant experience
- 2+ years of software engineering or QA experience
- 3+ years of QA management experience
- Strong software development skills including programming languages and system architecture
- Previous experience with test automation
- Previous experience automating testing on mobile platforms
- Strong familiarity in many of the following areas:
- Software development lifecycle
- Scripting languages: Python, Perl, PHP, bash, etc
- UNIX systems and development
- Databases: Mongo, NoSQL, Postgres, MySQL, etc.
- REST-compliant API’s, SOA,
- Excellent communication skills
- A sense of humor!!!
- Cloud platform experience: AWS preferred
- Previous experience testing firmware
- Previous start-up experience
- Have worked on shipping product
- Additional skills that add value to our company (technical or domain)
- A passion for our product space and a desire to improve the lives of others