Facilities - Property Management - Safety | Downey, CA | Full Time
Southern California Alcohol and Drug Programs, Inc. (SCADP) was established in 1972 in a grassroots effort by community volunteers seeking alternatives for individuals with substance use disorder (SUD). SCADP is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization providing residential and outpatient substance abuse treatment.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Custodian performs daily janitorial duties, and immediate minor repairs to the facility, reporting any maintenance or safety deficiency to management for correction.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains the interior and exterior of the facility, including building, parking lot and grounds, in good condition
- Performs all tasks needed to maintain cleanliness, sanitation and safety of the facility, adhering to janitorial schedules provided
- Performs or assists in executions of minor repairs that might include the following: Carpentry, Plumbing, Interior painting, Refurbishing and cleaning, Landscape and irrigation systems.
- Follows daily maintenance checklist provided by supervisor; Assures tools and supplies are stocked and appropriately secured in vehicles as well as in maintenance store rooms; maintains cleanliness and order of store rooms
- Checks facility daily for any safety concerns; understands local and building safety codes and requirements as well as OSHA, health department and EPA requirements; reports all deficiencies to shelter management
- Prepares and sets-up rooms for meetings, classes and events
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- High school diploma (or GED/High School Equivalence Certificate)
- Six Months of experience as a Custodian, or similar building maintenance experience
- Must be able to understand how to safely work with caustic chemicals and cleaning materials
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Basic knowledge of hand tools used in building repairs
- Must have basic building maintenance skills
- Custodial or building maintenance experience in a shelter or a school setting preferred
- Ability to read and write instructions in English preferred
- Background in construction trades a plus
- Proven familiarity with homelessness and related issues a plus
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.