Cook PART TIME
Residential Alcohol & Drug Treatment | Downey, CA | Part Time
THIS IS A PART TIME POSITION
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ALCOHOL AND DRUG PROGRAM (SCADP)
Southern California Alcohol and Drug Programs, Inc. (SCADP) was established in 1972 in a grassroots effort by community volunteers seeking alternatives for individuals with substance use disorder (SUD). SCADP is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization providing residential and outpatient substance abuse treatment.
ANGEL STEP INN
Angel Step Inn is a safe, confidential home for victims of domestic violence, who may or may not have a history of consuming alcohol and/or drugs. We assist all victims of intimate partner violence regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability, with or without children.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Cook shall prepare meals for the residents of the shelter.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare, cook and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, for on-premises dining.
- Prepare raw food for cooking by washing, peeling, cutting and seasoning;
- Monitor food during cooking process including testing, turning and/or stirring;
- Regulate cooking temperatures of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters, etc.
- Properly package meals for delivery as required.
- Maintain food inventory and prepare food supply order; ensure proper food storage temperatures and rotate stored food properly
- Perform regular kitchen and storage area clean up: sweep/mop floors, wash/scrub sinks, ovens, stove and grill.
- Maintain highest levels of sanitation as required by local and government regulations.
- Maintain safe environment at all times in accordance with industry standards and safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- High School Diploma or GED
- 1 year of experience as a food service worker, in catering or food preparation
- Knowledgeable of the State of California health code policies and procedures
- Training in foods, nutrition, dietetics, and/or food preparation
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing duties.
- Culinary Arts Degree or Certification
- Familiarity with automated dietary information systems for tracking menu and inventory
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.