Certified AOD Counselor (DUI)
Drinker Driver Programs | Downey, CA | Full Time
Southern California Alcohol and Drug Programs, Inc. (SCADP) was established in 1972 in a grassroots effort by community volunteers seeking alternatives for individuals with substance use disorder (SUD). SCADP is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization providing more than 500 residential treatment beds and outpatient counseling to over 1,500 individuals.
The Counselor is responsible for the provision of alcohol and drug treatment services to clients and their families, and for developing treatment plans and ongoing clinical documentation to support the clinical management of the client.
- Performs screening, assessment, and intake including bio-psycho social assessments; client and family orientation, and development of treatment plans in collaboration with the case manager and therapist.
- Deploys clear and skilled crisis communication and evasion techniques when program participants display hostile or volatile behaviors which may cause bodily harm to self.
- Conducts group, individual, and didactic educational sessions
- Prepares discharge and transition planning in collaboration with case manager and therapist
- Prepares discharge summary and coordination of treatment services with members of the multidisciplinary team
- Completes client notes, charts, reports, and other documentation related to the treatment and progress of clients in the program on a timely basis
- Attends and participates in scheduled supervision meetings with assigned supervisor to discuss and review individualized development plans and pressing concerns or knowledge and skill development needs
This position may require evening and weekend work
- Alcohol and Drug Counseling Certification by an approved accrediting organization
- High school diploma or equivalence; AA or higher degree in Behavioral Science (highly desired)
- Minimum of 3 years experience in the provision of SUD treatment services working with the target population
- Strong written and spoken communication skills; bilingual (Spanish) helpful
- Excellent computer skills and data reporting experience; demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft office and ability to utilize an electronic clinical management system
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with appropriate documentation skills to complete reports, utilize data and communicate ideas constructively
- Strong crisis management, conflict resolution and de-escalation skills.