American Sign Language Interpreter (TEMP) (Increased Access)
Residential Alcohol & Drug Treatment | Downey, CA | Temporary
Southern California Alcohol and Drug Program
Southern California Alcohol and Drug Programs, Inc. (SCADP) was established in 1972 in a grassroots effort by community members seeking alternatives to prison for individuals with substance use disorder (SUD). SCADP is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization providing residential treatment services and outpatient counseling services to individuals throughout Los Angeles. Offering services with a continuum of care to underserved and disadvantaged populations.
Program is a residential facility or women parenting and non-parenting, with a substance use disorder who are also deaf and hard of hearing; communicating with American Sign Language is a requirement for working with the deaf and hard of hearing population.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Under the supervision of the Program Coordinator for the Increased Access Program of Southern California Alcohol & Drug Programs, the Interpreter will serve as primary support staff to all staff as needed; assisting with implementation of all routine processes, special projects and overall immediate needs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Utilizing American Sign Language to deliver and provide all services while collaborating with ASL capable therapists/Intern and non-hearing-impaired staff on site, the American Sign Language Interpreter shall:
- Assist in the delivery of case management and counseling services to hard of hearing clients, by ensuring proper communication.
- Assist in the day to day functioning of the program in routine interactions with hard of hearing clients.
- Train non-hearing-impaired staff in basic American Sign language to improve ability of staff to provide service to hearing impaired clients.
- As needed interpret for hearing impaired clients at appointments with outside organizations.
- Other tasks as may be required by the Program Coordinator
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- This is a temporary position
- Certified American Sign Language Interpreter
- Fluency with ASL (American Sign Language) is required
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Culturally competent/sensitive including an understanding of deaf culture
Southern California Alcohol and Drug Programs, Inc. (SCADP) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.