Vice President of Engineering
Engineering | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
WHO ARE WE:
Sounding Board is the first-of-its-kind coaching enablement platform for large enterprises offering both the technology infrastructure and the coach network to enable and scale coaching practices organization-wide. A female-founded startup backed by top tier VCs with a vision to democratize access to coaching across all levels of an organization, Sounding Board combines a Saas, cloud-based management platform with a high quality, managed network of global coaches that can deliver remote, virtual 1:1, and group coaching at scale. Our customers include large-scale enterprises like Intel, Kraft Heinz, Mozilla, Dropbox & Cloudera, and high growth companies across every industry such as Chime, Plaid, Zoom, and UserTesting. When companies partner with us, they see a resulting increase in promotion, retention, and increase in critical leadership skills in their managers. SAP.iO foundry recognized Sounding Board as one of the top 7 HRTech startups in 2019.
WHY SOUNDING BOARD:
- We are a mission-driven company creating the next generation of leaders
- Exciting, early-stage startup led by experienced, entrepreneurial founders
- Backed by leading investors including Bloomberg Beta, Precursor Ventures
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Remote working environment
- Passionate, diverse & inclusive team
- Coaching & Wellness benefit – Every employee gets a 1:1 coach & monthly wellness stipend.
- Open PTO – take time when you need it
- Full Health benefits
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY:
You will architect the engineering foundation for the hypergrowth that we are experiencing in a fast-paced environment while balancing the current and future needs. You will build and lead our small but mighty engineering team to deliver our groundbreaking technology on time and with the highest quality. This role requires you to be an excellent recruiter, a skilled communicator, a strategic thinker, and a quick problem resolver. You will help make everyone in the engineering organization successful and help resolve the issues that are getting in the way of their success.
WHAT WILL I BE DOING:
Own and manage the architectural roadmap, setting the vision and strategy for technology, and distilling it into successful and timely product delivery
Design, implement and monitor all operations and key performance metrics/ operational efficiency for the engineering team.
Establish a world-class engineering culture dedicated to craft, quality, and impact
Manage and inspire the engineering team on a day-to-day basis. Build a positive work environment while moving the team beyond their comfort zone to do quality work on deadline
Accountable for making everyone in the engineering organization successful by fixing the bottlenecks and issues that are getting in the way of success
Design and implement a winning organizational structure that supports maximum communications and effective execution of tech initiatives
Work closely with Chief Product Officer, SVP of Sales, Director of Customer Success, and Director of Coaching Services and design teams to deliver technology solutions for our customers.
Anticipate technology scale and capability challenges and communicate clear, proactive plans to address these challenges
Manage Offshore development teams
WHAT SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS DO I NEED:
Strategic thinking and ability to stay aligned with the leadership amid a rapidly changing environment
Comfortable with scaling technology infrastructure, redesigning architecture, and aligning people
Technical by training but knows the human element of managing and inspiring effective teams
Effective mentor and guide for a team of technical talent
Has strong strategic business acumen and problem-solving ability and is a constant champion of continuous improvement
Understanding of technical requirements needed to serve enterprise, knowledge/experience with data, privacy, security
Knows how to estimate work units, how to manage the development process, and how to motivate the engineering team to deliver beyond their capacity
Have a well-developed business sense that allows prioritizing to drive user growth and revenue
Ability to broker relationships across non-technical functions and influence decision making
Work effectively with a culturally diverse, remote, and distributed team across multiple time zones
Value collaboration, prioritization, communication, planning, and measurement
10+ years experience and 4+ years leadership experience (CTO, VP Eng, Sr Director), preferably during the rapid team and business scaling phase while managing a team of 20+ engineers
Strong passion for the craft of engineering with expertise in architecture, infrastructure, and DevOps
Start-up experience, B2B Saas, and/or delivering multi-tenant enterprise platform a plus
BS/MS or equivalent academic training in Computer Science or related field
SOUNDING BOARD VALUES:
- Our values at Sounding Board are: Bring Curiosity, Fully Engage, Take the Risk, Own Your Impact, Continuously Evolve, and Make it Happen Together.
- Proactive Leadership & Curiosity: Seeks out new opportunities, drives projects, & navigates ambiguity with grace.
- Take the Risk: Be bold, make decisions, and don’t be afraid to take risks in your work to push yourself and the company.
- Own Your Impact: At Sounding Board, we believe in treating people like adults. This means we trust you to manage your time and own your impact on the company.
- Continuously Evolve: As a company dedicated to development, you bring a similar growth mindset and continuous learning.
- Make it Happen Together: Excited to work cross-functionally and build relationships.
- Communication: Ability to credibly and compellingly present and debate recommendations with senior leadership.
It is the Sounding Board's policy, Inc to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.