Senior Backend Developer
Engineering | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
WHO ARE WE:
Sounding Board is the first-of-its-kind coaching enablement platform for large enterprises offering both the technology infrastructure and the coach network to enable and scale coaching practices organization-wide. A female-founded startup backed by top tier VCs with a vision to democratize access to coaching across all levels of an organization, Sounding Board combines a Saas, cloud-based management platform with a high quality, managed network of global coaches that can deliver remote, virtual 1:1, and group coaching at scale. Our customers include large-scale enterprises like Intel, Kraft Heinz, Mozilla, Dropbox & Cloudera, and high growth companies across every industry such as Chime, Plaid, Zoom, and UserTesting. When companies partner with us they see a resulting increase in promotion, retention, and increase in critical leadership skills in their managers. SAP.iO foundry recognized Sounding Board as one of the top 7 HRTech startups in 2019.
WHY SOUNDING BOARD:
- We are a mission-driven company creating the next generation of leaders
- Exciting, early-stage startup led by experienced, entrepreneurial founders
- Backed by leading investors including Bloomberg Beta, Precursor Ventures
- Competitive salary, and benefits
- Remote working environment
- Passionate, diverse & inclusive team
- Coaching & Wellness benefit – Every employee gets a 1:1 coach & monthly wellness stipend.
- Open PTO – take time when you need it
- Full Health benefits
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY:
This is a great opportunity to join a growing team and help define the culture of engineering here at Sounding Board. As a Senior Backend Developer, we’re looking for an engineer that is a tireless advocate for readability, stability, and efficiency in the API layer.
WHAT WILL I BE DOING:
- Work with Product and Engineering to fully understand the problems our customers are facing and collaborate on a solution with the team.
- Create a world-class application API designed to thrive at scale, both with users and a growing engineering team.
- Applying constant attention to scalability, reliability, and readability of code.
- Help drive the evolution of our engineering standards, tooling, and process.
WHAT SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS DO I NEED:
- 5+ years of experience working with Node.js, MongoDB, and associated modules.
- 2+ years of experience in Typescript
- Experience with Docker containers and Kubernetes.
- Experience with Node.js applications at scale
- Experience writing code with a focus on readability
- Constant learner of new technologies balanced with strong pragmatic thinking.
- Proficient with git version control and effective collaborative development workflows.
- Able to separate technical tasks into subtasks and provide accurate time estimations.
- Familiarity with build tooling such as Jenkins, Circle CI, or Travis CI.
- Experience with a cloud provider (AWS/Google) considered an asset.
- Experience with multiple API protocols, such as REST, GraphQL, etc.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform
- Experience in RabbitMQ, Kafka, or other messaging platforms.
SOUNDING BOARD VALUES:
- Our values at Sounding Board are: Bring Curiosity, Fully Engage, Take the Risk, Own Your Impact, Continuously Evolve, and Make it Happen Together.
- Proactive Leadership & Curiosity: Seeks out new opportunities, drives projects, & navigates ambiguity with grace.
- Take the Risk: Be bold, make decisions, and don’t be afraid to take risks in your work to push yourself and the company.
- Own Your Impact: At Sounding Board we believe in treating people like adults. This means we trust you to manage your time and own your impact on the company.
- Continuously Evolve: As a company dedicated to development, you bring a similar growth mindset and continuous learning.
- Make it Happen Together: Excited to work cross-functionally and build relationships.
- Communication: Ability to credibly and compellingly present and debate recommendations with senior leadership.
It is the policy of Sounding Board, Inc to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.