Web Developer - Video Analytics and Data Visualization
Engineering | Ottawa, Canada
At Solink our mission is simple: to make use of the one of the biggest big data sources out there: recorded video.
Video data represents a vast and nearly untapped source of information. To put things in perspective, YouTube claims that users upload 72 hours of video every minute (link). That’s a huge volume of data, but a single one of Solink's customers might be recording over 650 hours of video every single minute.
And while Google may have 40-50 billion mostly static web pages in their index (link), CCTV cameras around the world are recording 180 billion hours of fresh footage each year.
The problem is that this massive resource is almost unused just because no one has the time to watch all that video and pick out when something interesting happens.
At Solink we develop technology to mine this video data and extract meaningful information that can be searched and we have discovered that those cameras collect a lot more information than just security threats - we have come to understand that everyone can use video to understand their customers, employees, assets, and products better.
A job at Solink means working with an amazing team, tackling one of the biggest big data problems out there. We are investor-backed and housed in an incubator-style innovation hub. We have a creative work environment, and at Solink all of our employees are also investors - everyone has a stake in the company.
- We believe that allowing people to mine and search video data is the next global information revolution that will open up a vast source of untapped information - and we intend to lead this revolution
- We are an agile, fast paced team with big ambitions and mandates from our customers – be prepared to work hard and move fast from the first day here
- We encourage and promote creativity and autonomy– everyone owns products and features
- You will work in a passionate team developing cutting edge technology in a vibrant incubator environment.
- You will help to build a start-up company that is already forging relations with industry giants
- You will be required to make this startup a success by investing your energy, creativity and will to succeed
- You will be responsible for delighting our customers by rapidly delivering the features and functionality while meeting our standards for clean, quality code.
- You will be responsible for continually learning about and applying new standards, tools, technologies and techniques that increase our speed of delivery and reduce maintenance.
- You like to build websites. You build them for work or school and you build them in your spare time.
- You have a solid foundation in C#, C++ or Java and are comfortable with database schema design
- You work smarter AND harder and you have a passion for learning and improvement
- You like tidy code. You understand the value of style and find commenting to be satisfying. It makes you angry when control and view logic mingle
- You are test-driven and get warm fuzzies from unit tests, you use many tools and frameworks. You write your own tools when necessary and your first instinct is to check and see how other people have already solved this problem.
- You like clarity; you are honest, realistic and you don’t mind pointing out the elephant in the room.
- You like people, you like working with people, and people like working with you.
- Accepted answers on SO
- Contributed to a relevant OS project
- Angular, Ember, backbone, MVC, RoR, Node.js, D3.js, linux, iOS, Android
- IP cameras, network video recorders
- Video codecs and transcoding
- Amazon Web Services or other cloud-based development
- Image segmentation, background modeling, feature extraction, object detection, classification, identification and tracking.
- OpenCV or other image processing libraries
- Highly scalable, high-perfomance distributed computing
- Full health plan
- Occasional box seats at Senators games
- Mentorship from some of Canada's most successful entrepreneurs