PROJECT COST ACCOUNTANT
Office Administration | Tucson, AZ | Full Time
PROJECT COST ACCOUNTANT
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Full-time
Revised on: December 2017
The role of the Project Cost Accountant is to ensure the accurate and timely tracking, analysis, and reporting of all aspects of costs for customer solar projects. The Project Cost Accountant is responsible for tracking project costs in conjunction with the project managers and field leads against the project budgets and reporting project performance to the management team to support key business decision-making.
The following are the core responsibilities of the Project Cost Accountant that will occur on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. Special projects and other responsibilities not listed below will be assigned on an as-needed basis with direction from the CFO.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Project Cost Accountant
• Review and support preparation of project budgets for both residential and commercial contracts. Load approved budgets into QuickBooks financial system.
• Monitor and analyze actual project expenses against project estimates to ensure completeness of costs, including identifying committed and uncommitted spend, and review and analyze variances against project budgets.
• Work with project managers and Accounting Coordinator to ensure sub-contract agreements and supplier purchase orders are in place for expected project spending.
• Review supplier invoices for projects with project managers for propriety and approval. Identify unplanned costs and opportunities for customer change orders.
• Coordinate scanning and filing of significant material and sub-contractor invoices to the appropriate electronic project folder.
• Review project time sheets for completeness and accuracy. Prepare weekly labor analysis reports detailing employee utilization and project efficiency for management review.
• Analyze project labor performance by project type and by job code to evaluate performance and accuracy of estimated times used in project bid templates.
• Confer with Accounting Coordinator regarding the status of vendor/sub-contractor project milestone achievement, completeness of projects from a labor reporting standpoint, and billing/collections prior to project closeout.
• Report on project profitability to management periodically for projects in process and upon final project completion.
• Organize materials for and contribute to a periodic review of project performance and profitability review meetings.
• Track cost and availability of large material purchases, such as modules, made to stock and through the assignment of stock to specific projects.
• Other duties as assigned.
Time Management Skills
Desktop Computer Skills
Problem Solving Skills
- Must have considerable knowledge of basic accounting principles (i.e. journal entries, debits, credits, etc.) and accounting functions. Job cost and construction experience is strongly desired for this position.
- Ability to work independently and complete duties and projects with little direct supervision.
- Ability to accurately work under pressure in meeting deadlines.
- Must have excellent organizational skills.
- Must be proficient with Excel, Word and Outlook applications.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopier, filing cabinets
Physical Requirements: Essential functions of this position require: lifting, manual dexterity, and ability to communicate.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently lifting or carrying of objects weighing up to 10 pounds. Involves sitting most of the time with a good deal of walking or standing. The employee frequently required the use of hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Mental Application: Utilizes memory for details, verbal instructions, emotional stability, critical thinking, adaptability and creative problem-solving skills are important.
Required Education and Experience:
BS degree in Accounting, Finance or relevant study or equivalent required. A minimum of two years of comparable experience or a combination of education and experience may be considered. Job costing and/or construction industry experience given preference.