Senior Applied Scientist
Data Science | Hybrid in Dublin, Ireland | Full Time
Here at Sojern, we are on a mission to empower travel marketers to move travelers from dream to destination. Powered by machine learning and travel data, Sojern is quickly becoming the #1 travel marketing platform serving thousands of hotels, attractions, airlines and destinations worldwide.
We made Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500 list 6 years in a row, were recognized on the Top Company Cultures list by Entrepreneur Magazine, and were named a Best Place to Work by AdAge. As a globally distributed company, we are headquartered in San Francisco with employees based in 14 countries and counting.
Our team is passionate about travel and the core values that define our culture: Win as a Team, Embrace Inclusion, Be Genuine, Deliver Wow, and Center Around the Customer.
Need more convincing? Check out our Glassdoor reviews!
About the Team
Sojern’s Applied Science team is ten strong and is part of Engineering and our Optimization team. We drive major impact for Sojern’s customers because we develop systems to automate and optimize advertising campaigns, define new methods for measuring advertising performance, and apply machine learning at scale for thousands of customers. We utilize a range of algorithms and methods to do this including:
- Bayesian statistics and supervised learning to model conversion rates and revenue
- Thompson sampling and linear programming to balance campaign objectives
- Deep learning with Tensorflow/Kubeflow to model a traveler’s propensity to book
And as a part of engineering, we deliver through the full data product life-cycle: from prototyping to production component development. This provides each team member the opportunity to gain experience with a range of technologies such as Tensorflow, Kubeflow, Docker and the Google Cloud Platform.
About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Applied Scientist to help improve the performance of our targeting and optimization products.
The Experience We’re Looking For:
- You have hands-on experience building production-level ML and data products.
- You have expert-level understanding of data science topics.
- You have at least 3-4 years experience as a data scientist and preferably one year of experience within the Ad Tech ecosystem.
- You have an MS or PhD in computer science or a quantitative discipline, or equivalent experience.
The Skills You Bring:
- You write production code in Python, and can reason about algorithmic efficiency.
- You effectively communicate with data scientists, engineers and product managers.
- You work independently to solve data challenges with data science, machine learning and algorithms.
- You use your grit and initiative to fill in gaps and drive projects to completion.
The Value You Deliver:
- You drive technical impact by making meaningful, well-designed, reusable, efficient contributions to data-driven products.
- You mentor and participate in code/design reviews.
- You partner with product managers to improve requirements.
- You innovate in the context of trade-offs.
- Every member of the team works on key initiatives and has outsized impact, helping Sojern deliver more bookings for our customers.
- Flexi-Fridays: No internal meetings and shut down at Noon every Friday
- Flexibility: Remote and hybrid work options, so our team can enjoy flexibility and do their best work regardless of location
- Equity: Stock options are offered to every employee
- Tech: Monthly cell phone & wifi stipend provided, in addition to laptop and tech equipment for your home office
- Paid Parental Leave: 16 weeks pay for birthing parents and 12 weeks pay for non-birthing parents, beginning the day of joining until the child's first birthday. Where a local country has more liberal leave protocol, we happily comply! #embrace-inclusion
- Learning Opportunities: All employees receive a membership to LinkedIn Learning, plus you will have access to training and support to help you grow while leading creative and challenging projects
- Sojern Gives Back: We regularly organize office volunteer programs with local charities and organizations, as well as provide 40 hours of paid time per year to volunteer
- Culture: Strong core business values, focus on teamwork, vibrant, social and fun environment
- Travel Perks: IATA membership and personal travel “hotel stay” benefit
- Recognition: We use Bonusly to allow our team to recognize performance and teamwork #deliver-wow #win-as-a-team
- Wellbeing: We take a whole-person approach to your wellness with Spring Health mental health benefits, a Wellness Coach, and Employee Assistance Programs
Our Commitment to Diversity Equity and Inclusion:
At Sojern, we work to create a brave space that seeks out, embraces, and promotes diverse thoughts, beliefs, and experiences of Sojernistas globally.
We are building a workforce that represents the customer base we are serving and the world we live in. A diversified workforce is an innovative workforce. Just as there is no one archetype traveler, there is no one archetype employee. We foster diversity and inclusion across the company, actively seeking to amplify underrepresented voices and apply diverse perspectives to ensure products, policies, and programs are relevant for our employees and clients alike.
Embracing our differences and celebrating them moves us towards our goal of making travel inclusive of all. Sojern has over 15 employee-led Affinity Groups, including Embrace Inclusion, So-Proud, Sojern Women's Group, Sojern Gives Back, and more, which are the core of our culture, fostering belonging, inspiring learning, and creating opportunities for all Sojernistas across the globe.
At Sojern, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender orientation, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.