Principal Software Engineer
Technology | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
The CompanyOn the Deloitte Fast 500 for five years running, Sojern applies technology to the travel advertising space, delivering $10B in bookings for the thousands of hotel, airline, and cruise companies that make up our customer base. Our goal is to show the right ad at the right time to the right person, and we use our significant data advantage to make that happen.
Sojern is a profitable privately-held company that has a clear path to significant upside. This unique situation enables a culture that values a balance between impact and life. For example, we have company-wide volunteer goals, and we encourage travel and time off.
The RoleThe Platform Engineering team at Sojern owns our traveler profile store, our data warehouse, and Sojern’s broader technology stack:
- Sojern’s traveler profile system processes 100M pixels each day, and updates our targeting within 100 ms,
- Sojern’s data warehouse tracks 350M anonymized traveler profiles, enabling creation of more effective user targeting for ads, and
- Sojern’s tech stack scales globally on GCP and supports engineering and data science teams that build systems that reach users across display, SEM and Facebook.
We’re looking for a Principal Software Engineer who can leverage their prior Ad Tech and engineering experience to take on and lead large projects, from inception to completion.
The Expertise We’re Looking For:
- At least 10 years of software engineering experience.
- Experience working as a technical lead, building production quality solutions with a focus on scale and reliability.
- Experience architecting and building reliable distributed systems with high throughput and high uptime.
- At least 3 years of experience within the Ad Tech ecosystem, e.g., experience on FB, RTB, SEM, or display campaign optimization.
- Excellent grasp of CS fundamentals - data structures and algorithms.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services infrastructure (K8S, EC2, S3).
- Experience working in and leading Agile/Scrum teams.
- A MS or PhD in CS or CS/EE.
The Skills You Bring:
- You have experience architecting large distributed systems
- You have experience collaborating on design of complex platforms
- You have hands on experience with Python, Go/Java and Git.
- You effectively communicate to teams across an organization.
- You have a record of architecting and shepherding large projects from ideation to completion.
- You can independently solve technical challenges, analyzing options and innovating in the context of trade-offs.
The Value You Deliver:
- Evangelizing new technologies and processes.
- Mentor junior engineers and help them grow as engineers
- Actively participating in code/design reviews.
- Working closely with the product, data science, and SRE teams to design, building, and deploy highly scalable and efficient core platform services that drive company-wide value and make an impact.
- Opportunities: Be part of a growing team with training and support to help you grow.
- Ownership: Lead creative and challenging projects.
- Give Back: We give 40 hours a year to volunteer and organize office volunteer programs with local organizations.
- Culture: Strong core business values, focus on teamwork, vibrant, social and fun environment.
- Snacks: Variety of snacks in the office.
- Upside: Stock options.