Manager of Data Science
Data Science | Hybrid in San Francisco, CA | Full Time
About the Company
Here at Sojern, we are on a mission to empower travel marketers to move travelers from dream to destination. Powered by machine learning and travel data, Sojern is quickly becoming the #1 travel marketing platform serving thousands of hotels, attractions, airlines and destinations worldwide.
We made Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500 list 6 years in a row, were recognized on the Top Company Cultures list by Entrepreneur Magazine, and were named a Best Place to Work by AdAge. As a globally distributed company, we are headquartered in San Francisco with employees based in 14 countries and counting.
Our team is passionate about travel and the core values that define our culture: Win as a Team, Embrace Inclusion, Be Genuine, Deliver Wow, and Center Around the Customer.
Need more convincing? Check out our Glassdoor reviews!
About the Team
Sojern’s Optimization team is a cross-functional group of 20 people including product managers, analysts, applied scientists, data scientists and engineers with the mission to supercharge our targeting and campaign automation capabilities with AI and machine learning.
As a part of the Optimization team, the data science team drives experimentation, causal inference and product analytics to help determine the impact of new product features at scale on the 10k clients we support.
About the Role
We are looking for a Manager of Data Science to:
- Shape how this team can best impact clients.
- Lead initiatives to improve the measurement, experimentation, performance and overall understanding of targeting and optimization products.
- Manage a team of three data scientists.
- Be an authentic technical leader with the ability and experience to roll up their sleeves and contribute if necessary.
** We are focused on hybrid candidates that are able to come into the San Francisco office twice a week.
The Experience We’re Looking For:
- You have at least six years of work experience as a data scientist or analyst, ideally within the Ad Tech ecosystem.
- You have at least one year of experience either leading a team of data scientists or leading multi-stakeholder data science projects.
- You have designed and evaluated experiments (A/B tests) in an industry setting.
- You have applied modeling techniques like regression or classification to inform product decisions.
- You have utilized SQL to navigate complex data sets.
- You have defined product metrics and helped create data-driven product roadmaps.
- You have applied quasi-experimental methods like matching or synthetic control to evaluate causal impact.
- You have an MS or PhD in a quantitative discipline, or equivalent experience.
The Skills You Bring:
- You mentor your colleagues and lead without dictating.
- You ensure that your team has what they need to deliver.
- You organize, plan and document.
- You formalize data science workflows, estimate associated costs, requirements, and time needed to build, tune, and put it into production.
- You translate business goals, context, value into measurable and trustworthy technical metrics by harnessing the combined skills of existing team of data scientists.
- You know how to wrangle, explore and model data.
- You are comfortable with advertising metrics.
- You create readable notebooks using the standard data science toolkit, preferably in Python including Pandas, Jupyter, Sklearn, & Statsmodels.
- You can clearly explain how concepts from statistics such as hypothesis testing, sampling and/or Bayesian statistics can be applied to business opportunities.
- You effectively communicate with data scientists, engineers and product managers.
- You measure and then iterate.
The Value You Deliver:
- You collaborate with analysts and other scientists to discover why.
- You use your grit and initiative to fill in gaps and drive projects to completion.
- You bridge the gap between different teams.
- Your team’s contributions ensure that our data products are delivering for our customers by designing, running and interpreting trustworthy A/B tests.
- Your team’s contributions help increase Sojern’s revenue by digging in on the data and identifying areas and approaches for product improvements.
What we have for you:
- Flexi-Fridays: No internal meetings and shut down at Noon every Friday
- Flexibility: Remote and hybrid work options, so our team can enjoy flexibility and do their best work regardless of location
- Equity: Stock options are offered to every employee
- Tech: Monthly cell phone & wifi stipend provided, in addition to laptop and tech equipment for your home office
- Paid Parental Leave: 16 weeks pay for birthing parents and 12 weeks pay for non-birthing parents, beginning the day of joining until the child's first birthday. Where a local country has more liberal leave protocol, we happily comply! #embrace-inclusion
- Learning Opportunities: All employees receive a membership to LinkedIn Learning, plus you will have access to training and support to help you grow while leading creative and challenging projects
- Sojern Gives Back: We regularly organize office volunteer programs with local charities and organizations, as well as provide 40 hours of paid time per year to volunteer
- Culture: Strong core business values, focus on teamwork, vibrant, social and fun environment
- Travel Perks: IATA membership and personal travel “hotel stay” benefit
- Recognition: We use Bonusly to allow our team to recognize performance and teamwork #deliver-wow #win-as-a-team
- Wellbeing: We take a whole-person approach to your wellness with Spring Health mental health benefits, a Wellness Coach, and Employee Assistance Programs
- Paid Time Off: Unlimited PTO (we are a travel company, after all!)
- Healthcare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your dependents with healthy employer premium contributions
- Life and Disability: Life, AD&D and Short- and Long-Term Disability insurance with premiums 100% paid by Sojern
- Medical Travel: Travel expense coverage for when medical treatment is needed that is not available locally
- Retirement: 401k available with company profit sharing contributions
Our Commitment to Diversity Equity and Inclusion:
At Sojern, we work to create a brave space that seeks out, embraces, and promotes diverse thoughts, beliefs, and experiences of Sojernistas globally.
We are building a workforce that represents the customer base we are serving and the world we live in. A diversified workforce is an innovative workforce. Just as there is no one archetype traveler, there is no one archetype employee. We foster diversity and inclusion across the company, actively seeking to amplify underrepresented voices and apply diverse perspectives to ensure products, policies, and programs are relevant for our employees and clients alike.
Embracing our differences and celebrating them moves us towards our goal of making travel inclusive of all. Sojern has over 15 employee-led Affinity Groups, including Embrace Inclusion, So-Proud, Sojern Women's Group, Sojern Gives Back, and more, which are the core of our culture, fostering belonging, inspiring learning, and creating opportunities for all Sojernistas across the globe.
At Sojern, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.