Lead Data Science Engineer
Technology | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Want to be part of a fantastic and fun startup that’s revolutionizing the online travel advertising space? Want to join a data science team that's growing fast and making a big impact on the business? Come join us at Sojern!
On the Deloitte Fast 500 for five years running, Sojern applies technology to the travel advertising space, delivering $10B in bookings for the thousands of hotel, airline, and cruise companies that make up our customer base.
It is an exciting time to join the data science team at Sojern: business is booming, and the team plays a key role in Sojern's mission by automating, analyzing, modeling, and optimizing the way we target potential travelers with the most relevant and timely travel ads.
The data science team collaborates with product to define projects, analyze data sets, and build solutions. Example projects include:
- Delivering a better understanding of why a traveler books a hotel or flight, and utilizing those insights in production models which are used to improve ad relevance, timeliness, and performance for millions of ads per day
- Analyzing, visualizing, and improving our ML pipeline that pushes thousands of models into production each month
- Applying ideas from game theory to better understand the value of our audience targeting methods
- Optimizing automated campaign management which allocates budget for over 40 million display ad impressions daily for over a thousand customers and millions of ad spend per year
As a part of engineering, we also drive our solutions to production including:
- Creating data processing jobs using Google's big data infrastructure such as BigQuery
- Deploying our codebase to production with docker/containers on Google Cloud's Kubernetes platform
- Building and improving internal data science tools like our Jupyter server to scale our impact
We’re looking for lead data science engineers who can leverage their prior Ad Tech experience and take on and lead large data science projects, from inception to completion. In addition to contributing technically throughout the project, lead data science engineers are also responsible for:
- Working with product to help define product requirements
- Driving large data science efforts to completion, by helping design and plan the effort and by coordinating/supporting the efforts of other data science engineers contributing to the project
- Interfacing with stakeholders throughout the company to bring new functionality and products to life
- Promoting innovation by identifying inefficiencies in modeling or process and collaborating to propose and implement solutions
- Representing the team and its capabilities across the business
- Being a go-to expert on how our systems work
- Understanding our customers, possessing empathy for their challenges and goals
Large data science projects revolve around extending Sojern’s core capabilities in new dimensions, e.g., additional inventory channels, so prior knowledge and leadership experience are crucial.
- Python Proficiency -- It’s our lingua franca, and we’re big Jupyter fans
- MS of PhD in CS or STEM -- Ability to transform concepts into practical solutions
- Production Machine Learning Experience -- Successful implementation of ML solutions in production setting
- Communication Ability -- Experience/comfort in presenting abstract concepts
- Track Record of Driving DS/ML Projects to Production -- Experience leading large DS/ML projects from concept to conclusion and sharing results and learnings
- Extensive Experience as a Data Scientist – 7+ years of experience with data science/ML
- Ad Tech Experience -- 2+ years of experience with data science/ML techniques as applied to Ad Tech, specifically experience on FB, RTB, SEM, cross-channel attribution, cross-device graph technologies
At Sojern, culture is king. We keep the stress low, the dress casual, and the work interesting. No one is counting your vacation days, we trust (and encourage!) our employees to take the time they need. We regularly eat out as a team, provide the hardware you’ll need, and otherwise let you dig in!
Recognized on the Top Company Cultures list by Entrepreneur Magazine, Sojern is headquartered in San Francisco, with teams based in Dubai, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Mexico City, New York, Omaha, Paris, Singapore, and Sydney. For more information, visit www.sojern.com.
Opportunities: Be part of a growing team with training and support to help you grow
Ownership: Lead creative and challenging projects
Give Back: We give 40 hours a year to volunteer and organize office volunteer programs with local organizations
Culture: Strong core business values, focus on teamwork, vibrant, social and fun environment
Snacks: Variety of snacks in the office
Meals: Monthly catered lunches & happy hours
Wealth: Stock options
Time Off: Flexible vacation days
At Sojern, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.