Sr. Backend Engineer
Technology | Culver City, CA | Full Time
At SnackNation, we take snacking seriously. We’ve partnered with many of the most innovative brands in snacking, inspired by their drive to create healthier options for everyone. We also take technology seriously, and we’re looking for experienced individuals to help our growing, talented team of technologists build the future of SnackNation and bring that same level of innovation to help us deliver these snacks across the country. As a subscription company shipping snacks to thousands of companies throughout the US (from startups to Fortune 100 and everywhere in between), we have many moving parts that all work together so each office receives the best snacks at the best time. The Technology team at SnackNation is the glue that brings everything together. We’re a service oriented team aimed at driving the success of our members and our employees with thoughtful, robust, reliable solutions that save them time and simplify their workday.
As a backend engineer you’ll help build the foundation upon which the company will grow. These solutions will define how your fellow snackers work, they’ll integrate our key systems, they’ll provide the data that guides the company, and they’ll automate as much as possible to allow us to focus on innovation and providing a world-class product with world-class support.
You Might Work On:
- A service to manage delivery schedules for each of members and coordinate order management with to increase efficiency at our warehouses and get our snacks out the door on time, every time.
- Serverless applications running on AWS Lambda that facilitate robust, loosely coupled integration across our systems - both in-house and off-the-shelf.
- Our account and subscription management application, used by our members and internally by our member success representatives. Rolled out this year, we’re still hard at work on improvements to delight our users and save them time.
- A snack recommendation service. We carefully curate each of our boxes every month with a selection of the best snacks we can find, but we believe we can dive deep into our data to refine that selection per office to ensure they receive the perfect snacks.
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, services, and systems touching every part of the company - sales, warehousing, inventory, finance, marketing, customer support, and more.
You might be the right fit if:
- You enjoy designing smart, long lasting solutions intended to play nicely with others, be a joy to maintain, and be flexible to grow and adapt to the changing needs of the business.
- You want to be responsible for your solutions. You’ll have access to our production systems and you’ll be trusted to keep them up and running. If we hire you, it’s because we trust you to do the right thing.
- You actively seek candid input from your peers to improve the quality of your work. This is a team environment, we’re looking for collaborators rather than lone rockstars.
- You care about the details
- Every day you strive to do better
- You never stop learning
- You loathe reinventing the wheel
***Note to bootcamp grads: we love coding bootcamps and have worked with recent grads in the past. However, this time we’re looking for someone who’s had time to apply their experience in a professional setting, seeing as we're a lean & growing engineering team.
Working at SnackNation:
SnackNation is located in the heart of Hayden Tract in Culver City. Our Core Purpose is to help people become better versions of themselves by serving as a catalyst for increased health, productivity, and happiness. We’re a dog friendly, high energy, open office with the best snacks around. Don’t mistake “high energy” for Nerf gun fights - we’re driven, hard working, metrics oriented individuals who care deeply about the continued success of the company and also care deeply about work/life balance. The office is sparse by 6pm and while we love your camaraderie, we understand sometimes you need to work remotely for deeper focus.
Engineering at SnackNation:
You’ll join SnackNation as a member of the Engineering discipline of the Technology team. Technology is a multi-discipline team with diverse goals. We work together to share knowledge and provide inter-discipline support to ensure the team collectively crushes their goals. We recognize individual achievement and we celebrate as a team.
As a member of Engineering, you’ll work closely with your Product Manager and fellow engineers to understand requirements and design well thought-out solutions. You’ll also foster relationships throughout the company to have direct contact with your internal users and those closest to our external users. We primarily work in Ruby, Python, and Node and host our systems in Heroku and AWS. Engineering operates on nine day sprints, with the expectation that all commitments are consistently completed during those nine days. On the tenth day, we demo our work and then you’re left to fill the rest of the day with whatever you feel is most important. Code is managed and reviewed in GitHub, work is managed in JIRA, documentation is in Confluence, communication is through Slack, and we’re big fans of JetBrains tools. TeamCity is the best continuous integration software, so we lovingly use that to keep us honest. We also love open source and encourage contributions back.
We believe in the right tool for the job, so we have closed source systems that keep our business running smoothly such as Salesforce, Zuora, NetSuite, and ZenDesk. You’ll work alongside the administrators of these systems and write code that uses their APIs and integrates them with our proprietary systems.
This is an opportunity to get in at the ground level of technology at an established company. The work you do will have a direct and lasting impact on the company and help define the direction of technology at SnackNation. Interested? We look forward to hearing from you! Let us know who you are, what you’re looking for, and what motivates you along with a link to your LinkedIn profile and online profiles such as GitHub and Twitter.