Legal | Portland, OR
Smarsh® provides hosted solutions for archiving electronic communications, including email, instant messaging and social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Founded in 2001, Smarsh helps over 13,000 organizations manage and enforce flexible, secure and cost-effective compliance and records retention strategies and mitigate risk. For more information, visit www.smarsh.com or follow Smarsh at www.twitter.com/SmarshInc.
The General Counsel is responsible for the provision of legal support in the areas of contract negotiation, drafting and review, general corporate transactions and in supervision of IP claims and litigation. The position will report directly to the CEO of the business. The successful candidate will have a desire to strive for excellence, a previous track record of success, and the expertise to handle a broad range of legal issues.
- Provide legal advice and counsel on business and federal technology service agreements, including negotiations.
- Provide legal advice on contract interpretation
- Provide full legal support to all business units in managing their legal risks with regard to contract administration
- Anticipate and advise on potential legal risks facing the company
- Conduct research and analysis on a variety of legal issues
- Represent the company or its officials in official legal proceedings
Education and Experience:
- JD Degree from an accredited institution
- Member of the Oregon State Bar associates, or other State bar
- 7+ years’ experience in practicing law including experience as General/In-House Counsel.
- Previous experience within software-as-a-service highly desirable
- Knowledge of financial markets and or hosted technology services highly desired
- Knowledge of data protection laws/regulatory requirements highly desired
Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with contract review and analysis, negotiation, and intellectual property claims.
- Able to operate from a position of support without creating interference, obstacles, or control issues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills necessary to build and maintain a cohesive, team orientated, working environment while leading by example
- A high degree of flexibility depending on the current need of the business
Smarsh is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, military status, national origin or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or applicable law.