Sr. Network Engineer
IT | Chicago, IL | Full Time
In 2013 Aaron Levie, CEO of the cloud company Box, tweeted, “Take the stodgiest, oldest, slowest moving industry you can find, and build amazing software for it.”
That’s just what we did . . . years before Aaron said it.
Launched in 1999, ShowingTime has ultimately automated the scheduling and management of real estate showings across the country, and brought about a new way for agents to share local market data. We're looking for a Sr. Network Engineer to help us respond to growing market demand for our products. In this role you will ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the information systems that support core organizational functions. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all networking software and associated systems. The Senior Network Engineer will utilize communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of IT systems investments. This individual will lead project teams with technical issues in the Initiation and Planning phases of our projects. These activities include research & development; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. This individual will also mentor and provide guidance to the IT staff.
Specifically, you will:
Strategy & Planning (20%)
- Collaborate with IT staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of networking systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Work with team members, decision makers, and stakeholders to define business requirements and systems goals, and to identify and resolve business systems issues.
Acquisition & Deployment (30%)
- Design and deploy new applications and enhancements to existing applications, software, and operating systems.
- Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
- Interact with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure system-related products and services.
Operational Management (50%)
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Propose and create system design models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to system programmer and development teams.
- Design and perform network and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the company’s disaster recovery and business continuity strategies.
- Integrate servers, including database, e-mail, print, and backup servers and their associated software into enterprise systems.
- Ensure system connectivity of all servers, shared software, groupware, and other applications.
- Provide architecture and engineering services in the development of standards for all telecommunication, Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN) circuits and connectivity.
- Provide architecture and engineering expertise for network, video, voice, compute, Data Center and other Infrastructure related technologies to deliver solutions and products to Enterprise
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records.
- Ensure compatibility and interoperability of in-house computing systems.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems.
- Monitor and test system performance; prepare and deliver system performance statistics and reports.
- Provide orientation and training to IT Staff for all modified and new systems.
- Provide guidance and assign tasks to System Administrators
To be successful in this role you will bring:
- Proven experience in overseeing the design, development, and implementation of network systems, applications, and related products.
- Proven experience with systems planning, security principles, and general software management best practices.
- Ideal candidate should have at least five years’ experience in networks with routing (EIGRP, BGP,OSPF) and switching (L2/L3) in an enterprise environment.
- Excellent technical knowledge on Cisco LAN, WLAN and WAN technologies
- Excellent understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Experience managing large projects including developing project plans and manage them to completion.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products as required.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- 5 years’ experience with Firewalls (Preferably Cisco ASA)
- 5 years’ experience with load balancers (NGINX highly desirable)
- 5 years’ experience in Active Directory (2008R2 or later) environment
- 5 years’ experience with Hypervisors (VMWare preferred)
- 5 years’ experience with Linux OS (CentOS, RedHat, etc)
- Experience with cloud offering (AWS, Azure, Google, Etc)
- The Senior Network Engineer will have a bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering or related technical degree and 10 years of Network Engineering experience, associate degree and 12 years related experience, or 15 years related experience.
- Cisco Certifications: CCNA/CCNP
Team members at our 550 W. Jackson location receive:
- Stock Options
- Macbook or Surface pro . . . you decide!
- Base salary
- Annual goal-based incentive bonuses
- 401k with matching
- Medical, dental and other benefits
- Employee Wellness Program
- Employee referral bonuses
- Free access to our fitness room in the same building