Senior Software Engineer - Perl
Software Engineering | Charlestown, MA | Full Time
Shoes.com is looking for a well-qualified Senior Perl Software Engineer with strong design and architecture experience to join our existing Perl team to build and maintain web services, back-end services, and administrative web applications.
You'll be integral in researching and designing new software and systems with a keen eye on sound architectural principles, scalability, flexibility and maintainability. It's critically important to us that you be able to work as a Perl thought leader, interacting with other engineers and business folks effectively and professionally. We'd like to find someone who has published to CPAN, is comfortable teaching already-senior Perl engineers’ new tricks, and can work collaboratively in a team environment alongside very bright people with strong opinions.
We're a friendly, collaborative, and progress-oriented environment where your work will have significant impact to the way we conduct our business and build out our technology stack. We're one of the largest web commerce companies in the world and serve some of the most well-known brands. Those authorized to work in the United States are encouraged to apply; we are unable to sponsor H1B candidates at this time.
We need someone who dreams in Perl. We need you to have application design experience using Moose and modern Perl web frameworks like Mojolicious or Dancer. We need someone with strong software architecture wisdom, especially around model design, test frameworks, and full-stack Perl web services. We're looking for someone sufficiently senior enough to work on projects solo as needed without the need for oversight and yet who will follow our strict style guide and best practices in all cases. Viable candidates will have a track-record of self-motivation, high attention to detail, and ability to work very independently.
This job might be for you if you have:
- 10+ years Perl applications design and development
- Experience with proven successful track records in building and maintaining sites with high volume, high transaction, high throughput that also focuses on scalability, and extensibility along with back end applications
- Experience in Linux system administration and networking
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter who can take business ideas, build upon them, and create well-articulated plans to design, implement, test and support these applications
- MVC application design in a Mojolicious or Dancer-like framework
- Effective and professional communications and collaboration soft-skills
- Passion, excitement, and a positive can do attitude
- REST web services with a full Perl stack including API design
- nginx + Plack and/or Apache + mod_perl application development preferred
- Classic RDBMS and NoSQL experience
- Autonomous ETL services development
- Vagrant + VirtualBox or similar VM system for development
- Demonstrated experience in leveraging configuration management tools
- Docker or similar container technology
- Familiarity or hands-on experience with EDI a plus
- Familiarity or hands-on experience with Java a plus
You'll want to work at shoes.com because:
Formerly Shoebuy.com, shoes.com is a leading online destination for top styles from the best brands, at great prices. Offering more than a million products from over 800 brands, shoes.com is the one-stop shop for the latest in footwear, clothing, and accessories. Whether customers are looking for the hottest fashion trends or hard-to-find sizes, shoes.com has shoppers covered—from toe to head.
Established in 2000, shoes.com is headquartered in Boston, MA. In 2016 the company was acquired by Jet.com ─ a next-generation ecommerce marketplace dedicated to saving shoppers more money. The synergy of this acquisition is creating record growth and expansion of the shoes.com brand. Learn more at shoes.com, and stay connected on social media – visit our Facebook page, follow us on Instagram (@shoesdotcom), Twitter (@shoesdotcom), and Pinterest. Plus, download our app. Shoes.com is shopping made easy!