Senior Software Engineer - Perl
Software Engineering | Charlestown, MA | Full Time
Shoes.com is looking for a well-qualified Senior Perl Software Engineer with strong design and architecture experience to join our existing Perl team to build and maintain web services, back-end services, and administrative web applications.
You'll be integral in researching and designing new software and systems with a keen eye on sound architectural principles, scalability, flexibility and maintainability. It's critically important to us that you be able to work as a Perl thought leader, interacting with other engineers and business folks effectively and professionally. We'd like to find someone who has published to CPAN, is comfortable teaching already-senior Perl engineers’ new tricks, and can work collaboratively in a team environment alongside very bright people with strong opinions.
We're a friendly, collaborative, and progress-oriented environment where your work will have significant impact to the way we conduct our business and build out our technology stack. We're one of the largest web commerce companies in the world and serve some of the most well-known brands. Those authorized to work in the United States are encouraged to apply; we are unable to sponsor H1B candidates at this time.
We need someone who dreams in Perl. We need you to have application design experience using Moose and modern Perl web frameworks like Mojolicious or Dancer. We need someone with strong software architecture wisdom, especially around model design, test frameworks, and full-stack Perl web services. We're looking for someone sufficiently senior enough to work on projects solo as needed without the need for oversight and yet who will follow our strict style guide and best practices in all cases. Viable candidates will have a track-record of self-motivation, high attention to detail, and ability to work very independently.
This job might be for you if you have:
- 10+ years Perl applications design and development
- Experience with proven successful track records in building and maintaining sites with high volume, high transaction, high throughput that also focuses on scalability, and extensibility along with back end applications
- Experience in Linux system administration and networking
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter who can take business ideas, build upon them, and create well-articulated plans to design, implement, test and support these applications
- MVC application design in a Mojolicious or Dancer-like framework
- Effective and professional communications and collaboration soft-skills
- Passion, excitement, and a positive can do attitude
- REST web services with a full Perl stack including API design
- nginx + Plack and/or Apache + mod_perl application development preferred
- Classic RDBMS and NoSQL experience
- Autonomous ETL services development
- Vagrant + VirtualBox or similar VM system for development
- Demonstrated experience in leveraging configuration management tools
- Docker or similar container technology
- Familiarity or hands-on experience with EDI a plus
- Familiarity or hands-on experience with Java a plus
You'll want to work at Shoes.com because:
Shoes.com makes it easy, fun and affordable for everyone to find shoes they love. We're driven by the belief that no matter what your journey, having the right pair of shoes can make all the difference. Every day we work to ensure that you find the perfect pair of shoes. That includes bringing you more than one million styles from over 800 of the best brands, through a seamless shopping experience on any device.
Shoes.com is headquartered in the greatest shoe city in the world-Boston, Massachusetts, the birthplace of shoe manufacturing. Founded in 2000 as Shoebuy.com, we launched the original online shoe store. Since then, we've served millions of customers of all shapes, sizes and tastes. In 2016, our own journey took a significant leap forward when we were acquired by Jet.com. Part of The Walmart US eCommerce division, Jet is one of the most forward-thinking and innovative online retailers in the world. With their support, we've greatly expanded and enhanced our ability to do what Shoes.com has always done: deliver a superior shoe-shopping experience.