Senior DevOps Engineer
Software Engineering | Charlestown, MA | Full Time
Shoes.com is hiring a Senior DevOps Engineer to join the Infrastructure and Security team. While the role is strongly focused on DevOps with a goal to automate everything, the role also requires strong technical generalist skills, outside of DevOps, such as networking, Windows and Active Directory Administration, Database administration, and physical server builds and support - the broader your knowledge the better. The role will also support of the 24x7 uptime of the shoes.com e-commerce website and supporting infrastructure.
While having a strong Operations and support group, shoes.com’s DevOps effort is relatively nascent. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to get in on the ground floor and help define the processes of the department. Where we are going is clear, but how we are getting there is up to us and you can help decide. If you are looking to settle into a “care and feeding role” then this is not the job for you.
This role may be for you if you have:
- Strong DevOps background with demonstrable skills using configuration automation tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef, or the like
- Strong Scripting skills in one or more of the following: Python, Ruby, Bash, or Powershell. A coding exercise will need to be submitted during the hiring process
- Linux system administration skills
- Strong understanding of CI/CD principles and practice
- Strong skills in documentation and creating and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), preferred experience in Confluence
- Working in either Scrum or Kanban work flows to manage tasks, and track progress
- A deep understanding of Virtualization, capacity planning, performance and recovery
- Experience with Full SDLC of packaged and custom applications
- A inherent understanding and desire for building repeatable processes that are strengthened with a robust suite of Unit Testing
- Strong skills with systems monitoring and alerting as well as website monitoring and alerting
- Ability to switch between being a single contributor driving projects to completion with minimal guidance and being a team player that is willing and able to collaborate, teach, document, and share as needed
- Understanding of networking principles - basic routing, subnetting, Layer 2 vs Layer 3 basics, etc.
Nice to Haves
- MySQL or Oracle skills
- Experience with Active Directory and other Windows Server technologies
- Experience with Ansible
- Experience with Java, JVM Tuning and management and Perl
- Strong networking skills
- History in secure server environments (HIPAA, PCI, Telecom, etc.)
- Experience with Cloud Deployments and physical deployments (AWS, Azure, Rackspace)
You'll want to work at shoes.com because:
Shoes.com makes it easy, fun and affordable for everyone to find shoes they love. We're driven by the belief that no matter what your journey, having the right pair of shoes can make all the difference. Every day we work to ensure that you find the perfect pair of shoes. That includes bringing you more than one million styles from over 800 of the best brands, through a seamless shopping experience on any device.
Shoes.com is headquartered in the greatest shoe city in the world-Boston, Massachusetts, the birthplace of shoe manufacturing. Founded in 2000 as Shoebuy.com, we launched the original online shoe store. Since then, we've served millions of customers of all shapes, sizes and tastes. In 2016, our own journey took a significant leap forward when we were acquired by Jet.com. Part of The Walmart US eCommerce division, Jet is one of the most forward-thinking and innovative online retailers in the world. With their support, we've greatly expanded and enhanced our ability to do what Shoes.com has always done: deliver a superior shoe-shopping experience.