Engineering | Mountain View, CA | Full Time and Temp to Perm
Shmoop (www.shmoop.com) is a digital curriculum company that makes students better lovers of literature, US history, poetry, civics, biographies, music, economics, pre-algebra, and test prep, and we want an energetic and energizing Web Designer to help us visually express our mission.
We’re looking for a creative, organized, adaptive, and deadline-sensitive individual to help highlight Shmoop’s brilliant and engaging content. This position reports to the Product Manager. You will start with multiple projects heavily refining existing design and layout and move on to developing and designing everything from landing pages to web apps and even entire learning ecosystems.
This will start on a project basis, and, if the Fates allow, will become a Full Time Position.
Being an independent yet collaborative thinker will be the key to doing well in this role. You ask as many questions as needed to get a clear vision of what is required from your designs, but you know when to defend your own design vision.
- Operate well on your own for quick turnaround.
- Listen effectively, offer and accept feedback openly.
- Deliver strong design during either rapid iterative processes or long-term projects.
- Prioritize: know when to obsess and when to move on.
- Demonstrate and promote an elegant yet “Shmoopy” visual design aesthetic – edgy, witty, current, youthful, and FUN.
- A deep passion for education and an ambitious drive to be a pioneer in online education design.
- BA in graphic design, web design, or professional equivalent. Current students that are graduating in the fall/winter 2012 are also welcome to apply.
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS/JS.
- Experience in tight collaboration with multiple stakeholders.
YOU GET BONUS POINTS IF YOU HAVE
- UI/UX design experience.
- Copywriting experience.
- Background in education or learning design.
- Experience working on youth consumer-focused designs.
Be prepared to hit the ground running!