Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Engineering | Sunnyvale, CA
TITLE: Senior Site Reliability Engineer
LOCATION: Sunnyvale, CA
Shipwire is a Global E-Fulfillment powerhouse. Our platform and services put more than 1,000 emerging brands and web retailers on a level playing field with Fortune 100 retailers. To use David and Goliath as an analogy we give David a Rocket Launcher. On-demand fulfillment centers, shipping tools, Web services, innovative developer tools and integration with today's top e-commerce platforms keep us at the forefront of Cloud Logistics. And we are moving rapidly towards creating apps that make it dead simple to control the world's most powerful logistics network from any device, anywhere.
We're looking for the right fit
As the Senior Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) at ShipWire you will be working to improve the reliability and performance of our platform and family of services. You will work shoulder-to-shoulder with our engineering teams to design and build the next generation of web applications and systems infrastructure, focusing on automation, availability, scalability and performance. A thorough understanding of System administration is a must (we have a 30 server deployment that we'll double again next year), and specific experience with Linux is required.
Day to day responsibilities vary but here are a few examples
- Work closely with engineering team helping to build, maintain and extend a platform family of services that can serve millions of orders a day.
- Be the Senior Representative of the Operations Team for contributions in new and ongoing technology projects; Performance, High Availability and Scalability including partitioning, sharding (Mongodb, Redis, etc.), dynamic provisioning and de-provisioning of systems for current load, etc.
- Review entire environment and execute initiatives to reduce failures, defects and improving overall performance.
- Design, develop and execute automated tests to validate solutions and environments.
- Troubleshoot issues across the entire stack - hardware, software, application and network.
- Document current and future configuration processes and policies.
- Perform troubleshooting analysis and implement fixes to ensure availability SLAs are met.
- Take part in a 24x7 on-call rotation.
You'll do well here if you have
- 6-10 years overall systems engineering experience.
- Experience with web server configuration, monitoring, trending, network design and high availability.
- Command of your favorite scripting language: Python, Perl, Ruby, Bash, Java, C++, Powershell, etc. to automate tasks and gather data.
- At least 6 years of experience with Linux systems administration (we use CentOS).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; including documentation.
- 6+ years of hands on operational experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment.
- Familiarity with systems management tools (Puppet, Chef, Capistrano, etc).
- Require limited supervision and direction; drive results and set priorities independently.
- Ability to handle multiple complex tasks, with tight deadlines concurrently.
- Hands on operational experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment.
- Experience with any enterprise monitoring systems like Nagios or Systems Center is highly desired as well as working with Vendors who assist us in this area.
But are we right for you?
Career progression: Excellent performers are quickly recognized and afforded opportunities to move up as soon as it is feasible to do so. Engineers impact the company with code initially, but there is greater cross-functional impact as your seniority grows.
Professional growth: Learning opportunities abound. We promote continual growth in our engineers by giving educational stipends and opportunities to attend tech conferences, meetups, and workshops. We have a wide range of technologies in our tech stack and do not restrict passionate engineers from learning areas outside of their core competencies.
Personal growth: We believe that independent interests of employees can be brought to the workplace and shared with those that we spend our work days with.
Vibrant and supportive culture: We cater free lunches, mingle with each other on “Beer and Rock Band” Fridays, have an active runners club and enjoy a constant flow of treats brought in by foodies in the company. We are responsive to one another, flexible with each other, and open to each other's suggestions. Our executive management all have open door (and open idea) policies and are willing to drop everything to listen and help our engineers.
Sharp co-workers: Our Engineering team has been winning dev awards together for years. We have alums from Stanford, MIT, CalTech, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and Cal Poly.
Shipping (it's in our dna): Shipping is at the forefront of our engineering practice. We rely on continuous integration and Test Driven Development (TDD) to ensure our product is always able to ship.
Compensation: In addition to very competitive salaries we offer a Fortune 100 class 401K plan, along with comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage. We can be very competitive with the options of startups and RSUs of larger businesses. Finally we have a generous vacation policy so you can recharge and take time off when you need it.
Our award winning products start and stop with our people...
We set our teams up for success to deliver something that is changing the way entrepreneurs run their small and medium sized businesses. We recognize and reward ingenious work. We all have a voice that is heard throughout the company to communicate any challenges we face. We always make time for fun.