Part-Time Operations Specialist
Program | Ann Arbor, MI | Part Time
The Shelter Association of Washtenaw County is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Eight million Americans are one paycheck away from becoming homeless. In Washtenaw County, 5000 people are experiencing homelessness. The Shelter Association of Washtenaw County (SAWC) was established in 1982, and is the primary provider of services and emergency shelter for Washtenaw County individuals. SAWC is housed at the Robert J. Delonis Center in downtown Ann Arbor. SAWC works with a diverse range of people struggling with homelessness, including first-time homelessness, veterans, domestic violence survivors, and people battling substance abuse and/or mental health issues. Services are offered through our core programs: Residential Emergency Shelter, Non-Residential, Shelter Diversion, Critical-Time Intervention, and Warming Shelter. The SAWC serves almost 1500 people annually.
Ending homelessness, one person at a time.
This position works as an active member of the Shelter Operations Team and is charged with the smooth operation of the shelter floors during their assigned shift. Responsibilities include ensuring the safety of all guests and performing duties in a manner that is consistent with the overall mission of the Shelter Association of Washtenaw County. We are seeking an AM shift operations specialist.
Salary for the position is $15.18/hr. The Shelter Association offers paid time off and disability insurance among other benefits for part-time staff.
1. Committed to SAWC’s mission of ending homelessness.
2. Interacting with clients in a non-judgmental ethical manner (see NASW Code of Ethics).
3. Provide supportive, empathetic, confidential listening and offer clients general assistance.
4. Welcome and orient new clients to rules and responsibilities of the floor and communal living.
4. Be familiar with and implement SAWC policies and procedures.
5. Document various client information and activities in HMIS and staff notes, professionally and appropriately.
6. Appropriate communication with Manager regarding client Leaves of Absences, Late Arrivals and other client policy questions.
7. Must be willing to work holidays and weekends.
8. Must be on time for work, and use time clock to document hours.
9. Other duties, as assigned.
Associates Degree, professional certification, BS or BA in Social Work or related field. Related experience preferred, unrelated degree plus related experience will be considered. Knowledge of mental health, chemical dependency and poverty issues helpful.
This person must be:
- Reliable and willing to work holidays.
- Able to be assertive without being aggressive
- Able to work as a team member
- Able to utilize good judgment
- Both welcoming and assertive
- Culturally competent, including working with those who have serious mental illnesses, who are suffering from chemical dependency, or who have varying gender identifications or sexual preferences
- Able to be to be mindful of personal boundaries, ethical obligations and the primacy of client needs
- Mature in nature and professional in action
July 15 2020
Please submit your resume and cover letter at https://www.annarborshelter.org/employment.