Operations | Ann Arbor, MI | Temp to Full Time | Opened 10 days ago
The Shelter Association of Washtenaw County is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Eight million Americans are one paycheck away from becoming homeless. In Washtenaw County, 5000 people are experiencing homelessness. The Shelter Association of Washtenaw County (SAWC) was established in 1982 and is the primary provider of services and emergency shelter for Washtenaw County individuals. SAWC is housed at the Robert J. Delonis Center in downtown Ann Arbor. SAWC works with a diverse range of people struggling with homelessness, including first-time homelessness, veterans, domestic violence survivors, and people battling substance abuse and/or mental health issues. Services are offered through our core programs: Residential Emergency Shelter, Non-Residential, Shelter Diversion, Critical-Time Intervention, and Warming Shelter. The SAWC serves almost 1500 people annually.
Ending homelessness, one person at a time.
This seasonal position is from November 2020 to April 2021. This staff member works as an active member of the Shelter Operations Team and is charged with the smooth operation of Warming Shelter either on-site at Delonis or at our off-site location. Responsibilities include ensuring the safety of all clients and performing duties in a manner that is consistent with the overall mission of the Shelter Association of Washtenaw County. This position is approximately 24-40 hours a week, with morning (7:45 AM-4:15 PM), afternoon (3:45 PM-12:15 AM), and midnights hours (8:30 PM-7 AM or 11:45 PM-8:15 AM). The salary for the position is $15.51/hr.
1. Committed to SAWC’s mission of ending homelessness.
2. Interacting with clients in a non-judgmental ethical manner (see NASW Code of Ethics).
3. Provide supportive, empathetic, confidential listening, and offer clients general assistance.
4. Welcome and orient new clients to the rules and responsibilities of the floor and communal living.
4. Be familiar with and implement SAWC policies and procedures.
5. Strong attention to detail when checking clients in and out of Warming Shelter services.
6. Document various client information and activities in HMIS and staff notes, professionally and appropriately.
7. Vigilance and commitment to clients' wellbeing.
8. Appropriate communication with Manager regarding client Leaves of Absences, Late Arrivals, and other client policy questions.
9. Must be willing to work on holidays and weekends.
10. Must be on time for work and use a time clock to document hours.
11. Other duties, as assigned.
Associates Degree, professional certification, BS or BA in Social Work or related field. Related experience preferred unrelated degree plus related experience will be considered. Knowledge of mental health, chemical dependency, and poverty issues helpful.
This person must be:
· Reliable and willing to work holidays.
· Able to be assertive without being aggressive
· Able to work as a team member
· Able to utilize good judgment
· Both welcoming and assertive
· Culturally competent, including working with those who have serious mental illnesses, who are suffering from chemical dependency, or who have varying gender identifications or sexual preferences
· Able to be mindful of personal boundaries, ethical obligations, and the primacy of client needs
· Mature in nature and professional in action
Open until positions filled
Please submit your resume and cover letter at https://www.annarborshelter.org/employment.