Internal Application: VP, Strategic Alliances & Initiatives - Social Justice
US Social Impact | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop is looking for a Vice President, Strategic Alliances and Initiatives. This newly created position will lead new and expansions of current initiatives that address public health, mental health, and/or social justice with the goal of reducing systemic disparities and their impact on children and families. The position will also coordinate complex, cross-divisional efforts – requiring a successful track record of vision- and outcome-setting as well as leading high-profile initiatives leveraging media and public awareness strategies.
As a part of these efforts, the position will actively identify and manage strategic external cross-sector alliances in public health, mental health, social or civic justice and/or advocacy – setting and managing measurable outcomes for the children and families we serve.
The Vice President, Strategic Alliances and Initiatives will oversee two US Social Impact project management staff and be part of a highly collaborative social impact team, working closely to integrate content and research strategies as well as work with groups across the organization.
As all these initiatives are philanthropically funded, The Vice President, Strategic Alliances and Initiatives will work with Sesame Workshop’s Philanthropic Development team to assure ongoing funding for these special initiatives and sustainability.
In sum, we are seeking a candidate who will ensure that Sesame Workshop, through its US Social Impact projects is a cutting-edge innovator, adapting to new realities impacting our nation, incorporating initiatives with innovative approaches including virtual learning, and forging strategic alliances that ensure our content and resources reach the children and families most in need.
- Higher education degree in public or mental health, social justice, civic engagement, government relations or advocacy, or nonprofit management.
- 8+ years of nonprofit leadership experience leading national programs addressing systemic disparities impacting children and families through the lens of social justice, public or mental health advocacy and/or nonprofit management
- Experience setting programmatic vision and knowledge of theories of change for programs addressing public or mental health, social justice, civic or public policy transformation for children and families.
- An established network of national strategic alliances/contacts to support the delivery of initiatives and related resources to increase awareness, reach, and impact.
- Experience in partnering with philanthropic professional to fund initiatives by developing proposals and/or decks and presentations for current and new prospective major donors, corporate, foundation, and/or government funders, and other executive audiences.
- Experience collaborating with research teams to develop plans and funding support to articulate and establish measurable goals, objectives, and metrics for assessing, reporting, and improving impact.
- Extensive project management skills, including budgeting, timelines, developing execution strategies and the ability to relay project needs to others.
- Leadership and problem-solving skills that bring individuals together with clear direction and expectations, along with realistic goals and timelines.
- A positive, humble and flexible team player, who can communicate and collaborate effectively with colleagues and allies within a collegial, yet demanding, work environment.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills, with press, media, and funder communications experience.
- High level of Microsoft Office skills and knowledge of digital and social media for social change.
- Ability to travel 20% to 25% once regular traveling resumes.
Sesame Workshop’s U.S. Social Impact (USSI) department, in the division of Social Impact and Philanthropy, develops and implements philanthropically funded initiatives that support our nation’s vulnerable children and families. The department creates innovative, research-based initiatives and resources to enrich family engagement and build children’s development in early learning basics, health, well-being, and resiliency to tackle traumatic experiences. We address these needs through three key initiatives, Sesame Street in Communities; Sesame and Autism: See Amazing in All Children, and Sesame for Military Families. During these unprecedented times, U.S. Social Impact has a significant opportunity to expand its reach and impact by addressing the societal consequences of the global pandemic and systemic disparities impacting children, families, and communities.
About Sesame Workshop
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street which reaches 156 million children across 160 countries. The Workshop’s mission is to use the educational power of media to help children everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. Delivered through a variety of platforms, including television programs, digital experiences, books and community engagement, its research-based programs are tailored to the needs of the communities and countries they serve. For more information, visit us at www.sesameworkshop.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity