VP & General Manager, Latin America (Mexico City)
International Media Business | Mexico City, Mexico | Full Time
Sesame Workshop is looking for a dynamic and visionary individual to serve as Vice President and General Manager, Latin America.
Please note: The role is based in Mexico City.
This individual will lead all the efforts in LATAM and have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the staff, programs, expansion, and execution of their mission in the region. The selected candidate will develop a long-term strategy to scale impact and expand local revenue-generating and fundraising activities to support program expansion and create a sustainable local operation. The GM will oversee an enthusiastic and motivated Sesame Workshop LATAM team of 10+ based in Mexico, Colombia, Brazil and the U.S., and work toward establishing a legal Sesame Workshop LATAM entity in Mexico City. They will be supported by the Sesame Workshop International Media and Education and Social Impact teams headquartered in New York City.
The GM must share a strong commitment to Sesame’s mission to ensure that the next generation of children in LATAM grow smarter, stronger, and kinder.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position is responsible for overseeing the development of Sesame Workshop (Sesame Street) into a leading consumer, educational, and impact brand in LATAM. With broad support from the dedicated in-market team and the functional leadership at HQ, the GM will leverage Sesame’s historical brand awareness and ongoing social impact programs throughout the region while designing country-specific brand identities and impact initiatives to increase engagement with local audiences.
Leadership & Management:
- Drive SW’s overall purpose and vision in the region
- Ensure ongoing local operational excellence and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems
- Actively engage and energize SW LATAM’s commercial and philanthropic partner organizations and funders
- Prepare and administer the office’s annual operating budget and assume full P&L responsibility for LATAM
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain the dedicated LATAM team
- Incorporate and serve as the Director of ‘Sesame Street LATAM’ entity in future
- Engage and leverage global subject experts (Brand, Education, Impact, Development, Licensing, etc.) within Sesame Workshop HQ to inform the overall LATAM regional strategy and ensure alignment with Sesame’s global goals and priorities.
- Work closely with regional GM peers across the world to create synergies, best practices, and efficiencies for Sesame Workshop’s global programs and activities
Fundraising & Communications:
- Expand philanthropic revenues through corporate and individual sources, cultivating new strategic partnerships (corporate, NGO, foundations, private individuals) across LATAM and internationally that will lead to business plan outcomes, revenue generation, and new initiatives
- Cultivate government and strategic corporate relationships to engender a broad base of support for Sesame across the LATAM region
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications – from web and social media presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand
- Act as the official representative of Sesame Workshop at public events, conferences, media interviews, and senior level meetings
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
- Directly support the SVP of International Media and Education and the SVP of International Social Impact at Sesame Workshop Headquarters in NY, regularly delivering updates and presentations to the Executive Committee, Board of Directors, etc.
Planning & New Business:
- Create a comprehensive strategy and detailed business plan to achieve brand, program, and revenue expansion
- Oversee all aspects of Sesame Workshop’s operations in LATAM, including both Philanthropy/Social Impact and Commercial, scaling business for long-term sustainability
- Oversee strategy and day-to-day management of all areas of the Sesame Street commercial business in LATAM. Secure, and manage local partnerships in Media Distribution, Licensing, Themed Entertainment and Formal Education, developing across traditional and new technologies and platforms
- Secure and manage media partnerships for Sesame Street and other Sesame IP with key platforms across LATAM, maximizing both revenue and reach to ensure optimal impact
- Secure and manage licensing partners, expanding retail presence and key category licenses across LATAM
- Identify opportunities for Sesame Workshop’s proprietary English-learning program, Sesame Street English, across LATAM (currently 500+ schools in Asia)
- Oversee themed entertainment partnerships and expand opportunities for location-based consumer engagement
- Oversee all local, Spanish-language content production
- Build partnerships and nurture relationships with funders, government, and field leaders in each country
- Continue to scale long term impact and sustainability throughout LATAM. Develop new programs tailored for communities and their specific needs across the region
- Envision and guide social impact program growth in a way that maximizes benefits to children and their families, harnesses the full potential of the Sesame brand and offerings, and capitalizes on digital possibilities. Nurture and build key partner and stakeholder relations for SW LATAM program and activities – working toward a clearly defined impact vision
- Implement Sesame Workshop’s global social impact initiatives as relevant to key LATAM markets, including but not limited to “See Amazing” (autism), “Dream Save Do” (financial empowerment), “Wash!” (personal hygiene), and humanitarian programs
- Oversee localization and production of original media assets for broadcast and programmatic partners
- BA required; Master’s degree preferred
- 10+ years of general management and brand experience. Experience at a mission-centric organization and with children’s media industry is desired but not essential
- In-depth knowledge of LATAM markets – commercial and philanthropic ecosystems, with focus on Mexico, Brazil and Colombia. Areas of expertise should include:
- Media ecosystem including TV, radio, digital, mobile, and production
- Early childhood education market
- Licensing and consumer products business
- Social media and innovative technology
- Philanthropic development
- Social impact program design and implementation
- Proven track record generating new revenue streams and launching new initiatives for media business and/or non-profit, socially-oriented for-profit entity
- Strong negotiation and deal-making experience
- Experience managing international IP in LATAM
- Experience with fundraising (development) and implementation of Social Impact programs for non-profit or socially oriented for-profit companies a plus
- Strong, collaborative leadership skills and the ability to inspire and motivate key stakeholders including external business partners and colleagues at all levels of the organization
- A thoughtful leader able to teach, empower and effectively engage a high-performing team
- Proven coalition-building skills with an ability to balance, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Visionary qualities, with a proven ability to identify and seize new opportunities as well as find forward-thinking solutions to problems and challenges
- Creative and innovative approach to developing business,
- Self-starter with entrepreneurial spirit who can work both independently and as a team member
- Persuasive, credible, and polished communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Integrity and positive attitude, with a passion for Sesame Workshop's mission
- Able to travel regularly, domestically and internationally, and work across multiple time zones
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required. Portuguese a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity