Internal Application: VP & General Manager , International Programs and Operations
International Social Impact | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop is seeking a Vice President & General Manager, International Programs and Operations. The VP will oversee Sesame Workshop’s International Social Impact Education and Program Management functions, setting strategic direction, supporting capacity-building and ensuring delivery for our Early Childhood Development (ECD) programs around the world. This individual should be a strong cross-functional leader, who is able to quickly “grasp the big picture” and deploy resources effectively to deliver on the International Social Impact department’s educational and programmatic agenda.
Please Note: This position is based in New York, NY, and reports into the Senior Vice President, International Social Impact. Travel up to 20%.
Leadership of project management and expansion strategies
- Oversee the program operations and day-to-day leadership of the project management team to provide them with management guidance, strategies for regional / programmatic growth, and operational assistance.
- Coordinate and direct expansion strategies and help build strategic partnerships in existing and new regions.
Ensure Sesame’s leadership in delivering educational impact in all programs
- Oversee the development and implementation of Sesame’s education agenda in close partnership with the Sr. Director of International Education.
- Ensure effective deployment, coordination and collaboration between project management and education/curriculum development teams, so that deliverables are on-time and on-budget.
Strengthen internal operations, coordination and infrastructure
- Supervise organizational planning and development, onboarding, professional development, , performance management and recruiting of staff; provide clarity around roles, motivate senior managers, and facilitate effective team dynamics.
- Build internal capability in staff, program/ project managers, education and development professionals.
- Serve as a “player/coach” to motivate and mentor teams both locally and remotely
- Support the senior leadership team, regional teams, and staff to make progressive steps toward organizational and programmatic consistency and sustainability; effectively communicate work plans and priorities to build ownership and follow-through with coordinated accountabilities, objectives, and associated budgets.
- Enhance organizational and operational excellence by establishing operational benchmarks, timelines, and resources needed to achieve strategic goals, proactively recommending and driving improvements as necessary; set standards for accountability and measurements of success.
- Develop and manage the program management and education functions’ budget, as well as identify opportunities for improvement.
- Using business acumen, financial and management skills, establish and drive to an effective balance between growth and affordability to establish the resources necessary to achieve business goals.
- Ensure effective compliance with funded project requirements – both programmatic and budgetary (in coordination with Sesame Workshop’s Compliance function).
- Facilitate and support strong and productive interactions with other departments including: international media & entertainment, research, strategy, philanthropic development, finance, human resources and legal.
External Relationship Development
- Manage and cultivate existing relationships with NGOs to expand distribution and fundraising opportunities.
- Publicly represent Sesame Workshop with external constituency groups including community, governmental, and private organizations and build excitement for Sesame Workshop’s global mission
- Develop and present thought leadership content for global development themes
- Work collaboratively with internal as well as external partners and other organizations, providing exposure for program impact in a variety of professional journals and other media outlets.
- Serve as a strong thought leader and effective spokesperson for Sesame.
An advanced degree with 10 - 15 years of operational and financial management experience preferably within one or more of the following contexts: international development / NGOs, media/ business, or a combination of experience working in a leading management consulting firm and direct operational leadership experience in a for-profit or non-profit sector
- A track record of effectively leading performance-based and outcome-based international programs, staff and associated budgets
- Direct experience and accountability for managing a multi-million budget or P&L in excess of $10M
- Strong business acumen, sophisticated analytical and financial skills critical
- Experience in field operations, regional leadership and headquarters-based strategy positions within a complex and highly matrixed organization
- Proven success in developing, managing and operationalizing strategies that have scaled a global program or organization to the next stage of growth
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and excellence in organizational and project management to achieve strategic objectives
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a complex environment, handle a variety of constituencies, and manage multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously
- Strength in program planning and management, and coordination between corporate and international offices
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a diverse internal management team and external partners and organizations
- Proven success in developing and leading talent, creating high performing teams that consistently produce outstanding results, through effective hiring, onboarding, coaching, development and career pathing
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - persuasive, credible, and polished communicator with excellent interpersonal abilities
- Outstanding analytical, project management and problem-solving skills.
- Strong business acumen, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to articulate passion for Sesame Workshop's mission
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally up to 20% of the time
Department Overview – International Social Impact
Sesame Workshop’s International Social Impact department, a division of Global Impact and Philanthropy, develops and implements Sesame’s powerful initiatives to serve children and families around the world. Sesame’s research-driven initiatives reach many children who would otherwise have little or no access to early childhood education and support all aspects of children’s development – including healthy habits, cognitive development in areas such as early literacy and math, and social-emotional well-being and resilience. We reach and engage children, parents and caregivers using multiple media platforms and innovative strategies – from television and radio to digital media, mobile technologies, books, E-books, magazines, classroom materials, teacher/provider training, social media, and more.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled