Vice President & General Manager, Greater China
International Media Business: China | New York, NY | Full Time
Sesame Workshop is seeking a Vice President and General Manager of Greater China to develop and implement a new long-term strategic vision to help the next generation of children in Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan grow up smarter, stronger, and kinder. We are looking for a dynamic leader who will be based in Shanghai, China who will:
- Build Sesame Street into leading children and family brand in China. Leverage the global history and awareness of the characters and brand while developing a China-specific identity that appeals to the local audience.
- Expand the Sesame Street commercial business, ensuring long-term self-sustaining economic growth in China. Generate new business models and secure strategic partners across key areas of our business ecosystem including Consumer Products, Content Production and Distribution, English Learning and Formal Education, Themed Entertainment (theme parks, live events, etc.), and more.
- Identify early childhood issues relevant to China and develop community outreach programs with local sponsors which utilize Sesame Street’s characters, educational assets, and whole-child approach to learning that maximize benefits to children and harness the full potential of the Sesame brand.
- Strengthen relations with Chinese government ministries and agencies to improve Sesame’s footprint throughout Mainland China and the Greater China region.
- Lead Sesame’s Greater China strategic brand and commercial expansion, developing a comprehensive business plan to deliver long-term growth and sustainability
- Full P&L responsibility for the Greater China region
- Oversee strategy and day-to-day management of all areas of the Sesame Street business in China. Secure and develop local strategic partnerships across Media Distribution, Consumer Products, Themed Entertainment and Education.
- Work closely with and manage the Sesame Street English master licensees Mainland China and Taiwan – our largest partnerships by reach and revenue in the region. Leverage Sesame’s and the partner’s assets to expand the business beyond the current 300+ schools in Mainland China and 100+ schools in Taiwan.
- Manage Sesame Street’s licensing agency in the region to drive revenue growth across all product categories and increase Sesame’s consumer reach and awareness via traditional retail and eCommerce solutions.
- Implement Sesame Workshop’s global social impact initiatives as relevant to the Greater China market, including but not limited to “See Amazing” (autism), “Dream Save Do” (financial empowerment), “Wash!” (personal hygiene), etc.
- Cultivate government relationships to engender a broad base of support for Sesame across the region
- Serve as the Director of the Sesame Street China WFOE and manage the Sesame Street China office and staff of 10+ people
- Act as the official representative of Sesame Workshop at public events, conferences, media interviews, and senior-level meetings
- Directly support the SVP and Head of International at Sesame Workshop Headquarters in NY, regularly delivering updates and presentations to the Executive Committee, Board of Directors, etc.
- Engage and leverage global subject experts at Sesame Workshop HQ and international offices to inform the overall Greater China regional strategy and ensure alignment with Sesame’s global goals and priorities.
- Work closely with regional Managing Director peers across the world to create synergies, best practices, and efficiencies for the global business.
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s degree preferred
- 10 years of brand and general management experience
- Proven track record generating new revenue streams and launching new initiatives
- Experience developing international IPs in China
- Experience with non-profit or socially-oriented for-profit companies a plus
- In-depth knowledge of Mainland and Greater China markets.
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit who can work both independently and as a team member
- Persuasive, credible, and polished communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong relationship and interpersonal skills. Ability to balance a variety of internal and external stakeholders and deliver results and outcomes on strict deadlines
- Negotiation experience and understanding of Sesame’s key business drivers:
- Media ecosystem including TV, radio, digital, mobile, and production
- Early childhood education market
- Licensing and consumer products business
- Social media and innovative technology
- Integrity and positive attitude, with a passion for Sesame Workshop's mission
- Able to travel regularly, domestically and internationally, and work across multiple time zones
- Bi-lingual in English and Mandarin
About Sesame Street China
Sesame Workshop China (WFOE) was established in 2013, and currently runs a 10+ person operation in Shanghai with businesses across content distribution, product licensing, and English language education (EFL). Sesame Street China operates as a for-profit entity, with a focus on balancing commercial activity and community outreach.
In 1983, Sesame Workshop partnered with CCTV to create “Big Bird in China,” documenting Big Bird’s first visit to the country. In the decades since, the Muppets have continued to enrich the lives of children throughout the country in countless ways, from leading outreach efforts in places affected by natural disaster to hosting a dazzling education showcase at Shanghai’s 2010 World Expo. The locally developed, Mandarin-language version of Sesame Street debuted in December 2010. More recently, since in 2014, Sesame has partnered with CCTV every year to produce Chinese New Year specials. In 2018,CCTV became the first partner to ever come to NY to shoot on the iconic Sesame Street set CCTV children’s television celebrities came to New York, and shot the special with Elmo, Cookie Monster, Big Bird, and the local Chinese tiger character Lily, on the Sesame Street set. Our partnership with CCTV has since expanded with the broadcast of two US dubbed programs Bert & Ernie Great Adventures and Cookie Crumby Pictures.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled